Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MIRENA COIL

(8 Posts)
JustJill Tue 26-Jun-07 11:09:20

Hi just though would tell everyone about my ongoing saga with this coil. It was very painful when was fitted two years ago and took six months to calm down i.e cramps and bleeding,

I had just lost a lot of weight after birth of my second son and though I have been following the same if not a better healthy eating and excercise plan I have gained at least half of that weight back. I also have dark hairs on my neck and chin, mood swings etc.

Then 2 month ago I started having bad pains, I was admitted to hospital with suspected gall stones as the pain was situated on my right hand side under my rib cage. Because of this I never suspected it could have anything to do with my coil. However, I was admitted back for an x ray which showed it is indeed my coil and that it has migrated and is now situated under my rib cage!!! The consultant has not seen a migration which has occured this far into the torso and I am booked in for the 20th of jul to have keyhole surgery to remove it and to see what damage it may have caused. If the coil is stuck near an organ, or any lasting damage has occured I will be having open surgery to repair/remove there and then.

All this for some contraception!!! I think maybe I ll stick to the pill next time eh.

Has anyone else had a migration like this and if so how did the removal go?? thanks jill

southeastastra Tue 26-Jun-07 11:19:23

ow ow for you! i have the normal coil but now i'm squirming

nogin Wed 04-Jul-07 18:05:11

Hi Had a strange couple of monthes , firstly i have the normal marina coil ,have had for 4 years no problems till recent, always period on time but last month 4 days late .then mid cycle when ovulation had pains on right hand side ,falopean tube area, with pale salmon /pink discharge for 2 days? plus a thrush like discharge, went to doc had a swab done got thrush ,took canesten and thought nothing of it ,till now period 10 days late but slowly starting woundered if anyone els had this sort of thing going on .? going to have a chat with doc in the morning ,thanks .

Wisteria Wed 04-Jul-07 18:08:25

Nogin - make sure you have a full smear Actinomyces is not unknown when you have coil and is nasty nasty nasty!

JustJill - Ow! Sounds horrid m'dear, my friend having trouble with her Mirena but not sure whether to tell her your story, might freak her out completely! You have my complete sympathy and I hope the surgery goes without a hitch x

nogin Wed 04-Jul-07 18:49:06

i must say never had any problems with mine at all ,had it for 4 years and up till now been the good form of contraception.
i hope its not the coil now causing problem, but will get checked out , if i may have infection other than thrush i will get the coil taken out as soon as i can .
good luck justjil woth your op.
what us ladies have to cope with !

ktmoomoo Wed 04-Jul-07 19:00:38

omg owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hope things go ok hun

nogin Wed 04-Jul-07 19:16:05

thanks , not had one taken out before , so no horror stories please, only good ones .

Tovik Sun 08-Jul-07 05:27:27

My mirena coil gave me an apple sized hormonal cyst on my ovary. Huge fun. Had the coil taken out without problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now