Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diarrhoea, is it best to take something to stop it or not ??

(9 Posts)
NuttyMuffins Tue 26-Jun-07 08:37:42

Sorry if tmi, but have spent the night off and on the loo and again this morning.

I have some diocalm or similar but am sure I once read that taking that is just delaying the inevitable and to just ler nature take it's course.

Have just managed to get someone to take the girls to school for me, and xp is picking them up later, so I don't have to go out. Ds did have an opticians appointment but there is no way I want to risk going to that, 3 buses and no loos nearby.

Any advice ?

NuttyMuffins Tue 26-Jun-07 08:42:42

Feeling ever so slightly sick now too

God i am crap at being ill.

ELR Tue 26-Jun-07 08:47:55

i think people say that if you take it you can get contipated then and it can take a while to get back to normal, if you are feeling sick now it may be food poisoning so diocalm wont help but diralites will help you replenish lost nutrients, eat a banana thats supposed to help diarrhorea

mmelody Tue 26-Jun-07 08:48:41

Just keep your fluid levels up by sipping water frequently to prevent yourself getting dehydrated. I hope you feel better soon.

NuttyMuffins Tue 26-Jun-07 08:52:50

Typical, Ds ate the last banana yesterday.

Don't think I could take dioralite, am a bit of a wimp when it comes to taking stuff. Will just make sure I keep up the food intake.

Not sure what I ate yesterday that could give me food poisening. I had cornflakes for brekkie, tinned salmon and salad for lunch and pizza for tea.

I did have 2 glasses of red wine and am wondering if it is this. I am normally fine with red wine, but have had this happen once before after drinking it, although i was sick then too.

mmelody Tue 26-Jun-07 08:59:58

I would avoid ANY food to be honest until you have had a couple of poo free hours. Sips of water only is all you need.

LIZS Tue 26-Jun-07 09:00:55

Only take the Diocalm if you have to go out. You are better just having lots of fluid and waiting it out. Flat coke or lemonade may be an alternative to Dioralyte. Dry toast and live/probiotic yoghurt or supplement too when you feel like eating. Hope you feel better soon.

NuttyMuffins Tue 26-Jun-07 09:07:49

Thanks, tbh I don't feel particularly ill, just slightly queasy, no stomach cramps or anything, just a very gurgling stomach.

I have had a peice of toast and a cup of tea but will probably not have anything else now until alot later.

I did need to go to the opticians, but will be too worriedf that the diocalm won't work, so will rearrange appointment.

suedonim Tue 26-Jun-07 15:24:11

Latest advice is that taking anti-diarrhoea meds doesn't stop your body getting rid of any nasties so if you want to take something, do.

If Dioralyte isn't your thing you can make your own, which I find doesn't taste anything like as bad as you might imagine! Drinking via a straw also helps you to avoid the taste if you put it towrds tyhe back of your tongue. I stir half a teaspoon of salt and two tsp of sugar into a tumbler of water. If you're feeling weak and wobbly it really does help improve your condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now