Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Impetigo horror. Act now or not bother?

(24 Posts)
Spider Mon 25-Jun-07 22:00:42

Spiderboy's best friend has impetigo. They're both five and very close. I noticed a red rashy area around his nose and mouth at a party on Saturday. It seems to be much less red now though it's still there. We've just been informed his friend has it so what would you do?

Here are my options as I see it.

1. Take him out of school and to the doctor's tomorrow to get it checked.

2. Wait to see if it gets any worse or looks more like impetigo before doing anything.

If it is impetigo do I need to treat the whole family as a precaution?

Rumpel Mon 25-Jun-07 22:01:42

Impetigo VERY VERY contagious - take him to the docs.

ChipButty Mon 25-Jun-07 22:02:37

Get him to the doctor's - it's extremely contagious.

joash Mon 25-Jun-07 22:02:49

GS had this last year. If you think it's impetigo - please don't take him to school, its not fair on the others. Take him mto the docs - you shouldn't need to treat the whole family, just make sure you use different towels etc. We got his early enough and it cleared up very quickly.

EmilyDavidson Mon 25-Jun-07 22:03:10

Do not wait or you will all be covered with it. Doctors tomorrow is best

Spider Mon 25-Jun-07 22:03:14

Yuk! Really?
I made the mistake of googling images of impetigo.

Miaou Mon 25-Jun-07 22:03:56

I would probably do no. 1 Spider, as impetigo can be quite sore. Ds has it on his bum atm (infected nappy rash, poor wee soul) and he really cries when I change him ).

It is also very infectious - another reason for getting it checked out straightaway - Spiderboy will need to make sure he only uses his own towel/bedding etc to make sure he doesn't pass it on. But otherwise I don't think you need to treat the rest of the family, just exercise prevention.

Dinosaur Mon 25-Jun-07 22:04:16

DS2 has just had impetigo. From your description, it doesn't sound as if Spiderboy has impetigo, so I'd wait a day or two and see what happens before rushing to the doctor. However, if the rash turns to blistery spots which then scab over with a disgusting looking browny-yellow crust - it's probably impetigo and will need treatment with an antibiotic ointment such as Fucidin.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 25-Jun-07 22:04:25

Yrs you should get it checked. Impetigo can be nasty and cause gerneralized illness as well as rash. Not worht risking spreading it aroumd.

Miaou Mon 25-Jun-07 22:04:30

oh look, too slow as usual

Tiggiwinkle Mon 25-Jun-07 22:06:23

Sorry about typing- did not check before posting!

Spider Mon 25-Jun-07 22:07:08

You're on your own dino.
I think I'd better go with the majority verdict here.

Shame! Tomorrow was my child-free morning as ds4 is at the childminder. Ah well. Another small avenue of pleasure closes off.

Dinosaur Mon 25-Jun-07 22:10:30

I'm used to it .

Miaou Mon 25-Jun-07 22:13:07

Aw what a shame spider. Deffo best to get it checked out though.

I am currently lathering ds in Fucidin cream atm - it does work, but it takes a few days to kick in as it were.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spider Tue 26-Jun-07 12:45:21

Right it is impetigo. The doc was very casual about it. We have cream and he said don't bother to keep him off school if you don't want to unless the school is particularly fussy. 'If we kept kids off with impetigo the schools would be empty'.

I thought it was more serious than this. I didn't realise it was so common either as I haven't come across it so far.

Anyway he's off today and I'm not sure what to do about tomorrow.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spider Tue 26-Jun-07 21:14:18

Dino your description is spot on. ds2 now has a couple of blistery spots around his filthy gob. I guess it's very likely he's also afflicted.

What with the spotty faces and greasy hair filled with nit oil, they were ming-tastic this evening and a cautionary tale for anyone who thinks parenthood is a bowl of cherries.

'Goodnight kiss mummy'
'Erm, actually I have to dash but I'll blow you a kiss < puff > Night.' <Scarper>

jackie2kids Tue 26-Jun-07 21:20:31

We all had impetigo around Xmas. DS started it and was quite poorly, needed antibiotics and 2 weeks off nursery!!

It went round the family and DD got it twice. If it doesn't clear up quick, get antibiotics I say.

Dinosaur Tue 26-Jun-07 22:00:38

Spider I know, my boys are barfsome too. I think that DS1 has the beginnings of impetigo too so have slathered him with Fucidin. Meanwhile DS2 has now had three doses of Ovex over the last few weeks and is still scratching his bottom...

Spider Wed 27-Jun-07 19:14:09

Oh yes Dino I don't know what I'd do without Ovex.

In France I had to go to the chemist and request some medicine in my best A Level French.

'Bonjour. C'est tres embarrassant mais mes enfants avent les vers dans les derreires. C'est tres itchy. Avez vous du medecin pour cette probleme?'

Apologies to any proper French speakers.

ELR Wed 27-Jun-07 19:20:30

havent read whole thread but i had this as a child and have quite a few nasty scars it started with one infected cut on my toe and then i had it for months everytime i fell or got a mozzy bite it got infected(lived in sa)
i have massive ugly scar on arm due to falling out of a tree and getting infected, it can also be quite painfull

noddyholder Wed 27-Jun-07 19:24:42

I think those will catch on as names spider Ming and Tastic have a certain ring

Dinosaur Wed 27-Jun-07 21:19:14

LOL at the excruciating a level French chemist conversation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now