Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybodies point of view on this subject would gratefully be received! Sorry but long

(9 Posts)
directline Mon 25-Jun-07 20:07:02

I feel I am living in a nightmare at the moment. (I know what I have is not life threatening but is certainly upsetting me!)

About 3 wks ago I had a minor operation on my bladder, next day I couldnt go to the lo properly so the hospital put a 5 day catheter in. They removed it when they should and tested me and everything seemed rosey. Unfortunately the next day I couldnt go to the loo properly, it turnrd out I had a UTI. I was catheterised again for a week. I went back on the said day and they tested me again and unfortunately still couldnt go properly! So they readmitted me back into hospital and did a cystology. Luckily nothing was found- unfortunately it stopped me from going to the loo completely! So they have catheterised me again, and I have to go back on Wednesday of this week.

Now they have told me to have a really good think about the next step just incase I still cant go to the loo.

The question is What do I do?

Which is best for me-(a)Self catheterising
(b)Suprapubic catheter

Self catheterising really repulses me and the suprapubic involves them attaching a bag to my stomach and involves another operation.

My life is so turned upside down at the moment I dont know which way to turn!

madamez Mon 25-Jun-07 20:09:33

Self-catheterising may be a better option as a) less surgery and b) being involved in yoru own care and able to do stuff for yourself is generally better all round. I'm not a doctor though, hopefully someone else who is will be able to offer you advice. Otherwise, my sympathies, this sounds pretty miserable.

CristinaTheAstonishing Mon 25-Jun-07 20:13:28

How awful for you. I think Madamez's reasoning is good. My FIL has been doing it for years (obviously easier I imagine as there's more to get hold of and manoeuvre) and, luckily, no nasty infections.

I hope it's a very passing condition. Good luck.

directline Mon 25-Jun-07 20:16:59

My life has almost come to a stand still, I only go out if Im visiting the Drs or hospital. I really am not confident on any of this, I really dont know what to do for the best.

I have a big worry about self catheterising as I have no sensation of needing the loo, unfortunately I cant tell when Im fit to burst!

thirtysomething Mon 25-Jun-07 20:19:50

Is it normal in terms of the operation you had done that you can't go to the loo? I'm just wondering if you need to "re-train" your bladder? I had terrible bladder issues each time I had a baby as I'd had epidurals and couldn't get any bladder sensation back. So I had catheters each time for up to 5 days and each time had to retrain my bladder again. This involved drinking little and often and basically just sitting on the loo, flexing the appropriate muscles, until it worked. Was sore and time-consuming but worked in the end. Is this an option? The way I understand it, the longer you have the catheter the harder it is to regain bladder function, and you're more likely to get infections.

directline Mon 25-Jun-07 20:23:32

They are not happy at the moment as my bladder has been distended too many times over the past week whilst they were trying to test me! I have tried sitting on loo but as I cant tell whether I have 50mls in my bladder 1000mls and not passing any urine, I think my options are limited!

CristinaTheAstonishing Mon 25-Jun-07 20:23:46

You'll probably have a nurse discussing this with you. AFAIK my FIL (apologies for referring to him but he's the only one I know of directly) does this twice a day, mid-morning and early evening. He drinks quite a lot (coffee & alcohol) but seems to manage with just this. He's in his 80s.

If you feel so insecure about it you could perhaps start with the suprapubic catheter and move on to the self one when you feel ready for it or if it goes on for longer.You may need to wear some pads too to start with and until you get the hang of it.

Please try not to let your life be ruled by this completely, there must be others facing this and still going out & about their daily lives.

directline Mon 25-Jun-07 20:25:23

Sorry should have added they do think this is short term, even though it doesnt feel very short term to me

jalopy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:46:16

Sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time.

I've never been through your experience but instinctively I would opt for intermittent self-catheterization. Perhaps it's better for the bladder to hold urine, in the hope that the affected muscles/nerves will become active once again.

I would worry that a supra-pubic catheter would prolong the inactivity of the bladder function and possibly pose a higher risk of infection.

Lots of sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now