Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alcohol and amitriptyline?

(19 Posts)
katherinez Mon 25-Jun-07 10:07:46

I started taking 10mg of amitriptyline about a week ago. Have a night out coming up. The box advises not to mix with alcohol. Does anyone know how vital this is. Could just do with a large glass of wine to take my mind off things!

saltire Mon 25-Jun-07 10:21:01

I used to take 10mg of amitryptiline (now take 30mg). I have taken it after 1 glass of wine,and have been ok, in fact I took the 30mg the other night after 1 glass and felt fine.
however, If I have a night out I don't take it that night, and also be aware that everyone is different, so even though I am fine after 1 glass of wine, someone else might not be.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 25-Jun-07 10:21:17

It is very important that you do not mix alcohol with this particular type of medication.

It is recommended that you avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine because it may enhance drowsiness.

growingbagpuss Mon 25-Jun-07 10:24:29

No offense - but what are you taking it for? 10mg is a very low dose - I presume a starter, but I suspect from the dose it's for pain, or migraine?

I think a glass of wine would be fine (non porfessional opinion) - I used to be on a low dose for migraine control (never did anything) and I didn't stop drinking -everything in moderation as they say!!

katherinez Mon 25-Jun-07 10:29:58

Anxiety and to help me sleep mainly. I could just not take for that night, maybe? do you think??

growingbagpuss Mon 25-Jun-07 10:37:14

Not mixing with alcohol is a standard warning on all drugs of this type - it CAN enhance drowsiness - so you do have to be careful. The point of Amitryptaline is that is stays in yor system fro a while - I expect your GP said it would take a week or 2 for the effects to work? Missing 1 night would not make that much difference.

Just be very careful how much you drink - I certainly wouldn't go and get bladdered on ANY medication.

The usual dose for depression is about 10 times higher - and at that level, I would DEFINATELY avoid alcohol - but as you say - its a much lower dose.

Have the one glass - enjoy it -it sounds like you need it!! If you find you feel crappy - don't do it again!!!!!!

p.s - don't drive!!!!!!!!!!

saltire Mon 25-Jun-07 10:37:54

I thought it was probalby pain or sleep related. I take the 30mg for sleep due to me having fibromyalgia.

Like I said, everyone is different, if it makes you drowsy during the day (which on a low dose I doubt) and you aren't sure how you would feel then don't drink.

Like I said though, if i have a night out and know I will be drinking more than 1 glass of anything, then I don't take it

katherinez Mon 25-Jun-07 10:45:10

Looking forward to it already. Will go careful!

Florenceknightingale Thu 23-Jun-16 23:11:26

I often drink and take up to 100 mg of amitryptalines and I'm never I'll or sick. You will be fine trust me !!!!!!!!!!!

Groovee Thu 23-Jun-16 23:14:26

I'm on 10mg. With alcohol, I am up all night. It makes me hyper. Meanwhile a friend drinks half a glass of wine and is paraletic.

nmg85 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:55:26

I took 10mg and drank and it made no difference, whether I drank or not I still felt shit in the morning.

dottyaboutstripes Fri 24-Jun-16 10:11:12

I asked my doctor and he said a and I quote - "you'll just get pissed really quickly"

anahata Fri 24-Jun-16 23:58:19

Just suggestion from a long term high dose amitriptyline user.. what about trying it with a glass of wine one night before you're night out?

That way, if you feel rubbish you are somewhere safe, with a clean bathroom if it makes you sick, and a comfy bed if it makes you sleepy.

anahata Fri 24-Jun-16 23:58:53

*your

CremeEggThief Sat 25-Jun-16 00:02:09

I'm on 10/20 mg Amitriptyline and I have a bottle of wine most weekends, up to 0.5 bottle in a night, and it has no effects on me.

sammyleigh1 Tue 27-Sep-16 15:35:57

I have just weaned off of Duloxetine and started Amitriptyline. On my 2nd week so on 20mg. 15 weeks then i shall be on 150mg. I have fibro, insomnia, severe lifelong anxiety. So far they are doing nothing and i am still in a bad place, but been told it will take weeks to kick in. I drink a 4 shot of rum and coke each evening and have done for years to help me relax and try to sleep. All drugs say dont drink as may enhance the affect of the drug. As a insomniac thats a good thing right. All i say is, you know your body and know your limitations, if it dont feel right, dont do it. Like someone else said, try it at home first where you have access to bed and bathroom.

Simmi1 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:00:21

I'm on 50mg a night - I find that if I drink then take the amitriptyline before bed I get a hangover type headache - but not bad enough to keep me up or deter me from enjoying a glass of wine grin

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 28-Sep-16 11:08:12

I find that a glass or two of wine with my 25 mg of amitriptyline means I get the "hangover" feeling in the morning that I used to get before I'd worked out my timings (with 25mg, if I take it at 7pm, I'm in bed by 9/9.30 and able to get up at 7am; take it any later, and I'm wading through treacle till about 9.30 the next morning). So I will only have a drink if I have nothing that needs concentrating on the next day.

WomanActually Wed 28-Sep-16 11:10:06

Dh takes 25 to 100 mg a day for pain.
He can't drink with this medication, it's makes him unable to function.

He's no stranger to booze and can drink a lot when not on these tablets, he's built like a brick shit house and no matter if he's on a low dose or a high dose he has the same reaction after just one drink. He's done it twice, thinking the first time was because he hadn't eaten much. He won't ever do it again, he was basically no good until the next day. Like he'd drank two litres of vodka and a load if sleeping pills, extremely groggy and extremely drunk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now