Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Umbilical cord bleeding...is this normal?

(14 Posts)
flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 10:01:07

My son is 2 weeks old tomorrow. His cord fell off a few days ago, but left the stump a little bit weepy...all normal I thought.

But the last day or two it's been discharging blood, not that usual yellowy stuff. Today there was a fair bit smeared around the stump, and staining the edge of his nappy.

I opened the stump gently and can see a little bit right at the base inside, that doesn't look like it's healed up...but why the blood?

DS1 wasn't like this so can anyone reassure me please?

Thankyou...neurotic second timer FA

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 10:08:35

Anyone??

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 25-Jun-07 10:22:47

I would seek medical advice from your GP asap.

This certainly warrants further investigation as you do not want this to become infected.

alexw Mon 25-Jun-07 10:23:16

It happened to me too - don't worry.
It may be a thing whose name I have forgotten - bright red raw looking bit that after a few weeks I put table salt on and by next nappy change had dried up and fallen off.

cathcart Mon 25-Jun-07 10:26:01

sorry but salt! that must have been sore!

i wouln't worry if its just bled a little, this happened to dd and hv said it was normal, just keep it clean and try to let it air. if you have any more worries see you hv or gp.

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 10:28:38

Alexw - I rang the HV who said it could be a granuloma, and they might cauterise it with silver nitrate. I told her I'd heard salt was better, she'd not heard of it, but sounds like it worked for you!! Apparently the nitrate can burn
so will try the salt in a week if no joy!

Thanks for replies xx

jinxed Mon 25-Jun-07 10:29:57

DD2 had silver nitrate applied - twice! Didnt hurt her at all, she lay there and didnt seem to notice. it cleared up pretty quick after second application.

HTH

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 10:33:42

Mind you it doesn't look like one...just about a 1mm bit of yellow coloured skin, right in the depths. I don't think there's any way we could get anything onto it.

Can't get the air to it because the top bits sort of overlap and stick together iyswim. I can't tell where the blood is coming from.

jinxed Mon 25-Jun-07 10:35:45

Can you post a pic? I could tell you if it looked like DD2's or not.

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 11:07:00

Ok, will try! Have taken a few but will need to resize so will do it when boyz are quiet

Thanks for the offer to have a look!

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 11:14:33

Ok have done! The blood around the edges is coming from somewhere, not sure where, but it just seems to collect there and dry off.

I opened it a bit to take the other pics and there's no red lump or anything. I can't see any blood inside either

jinxed Mon 25-Jun-07 12:04:20

yep, looks like DD2's did.

I would reccomend getting the silver nitrate treatment. As i said, DD2 didnt even notice and it cleared it up really quick.

She has a perfect little tummy button now!

alexw Mon 25-Jun-07 13:33:02

It was granuloma in dd. I booked in for silver nitrate, but tried the salt thing the day before. Dd didn't notice a thing and by bathtime she had a lovely belly button.

flightattendant Mon 25-Jun-07 15:21:14

Aha! Many thanks ladies, I shall ask HV tomorrow how we go about it.

Oh MN is so great! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now