Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

oh poo .. La Twiglette's ill and I've been ignoring her for a week (bad mummy guilt ensues)

(30 Posts)
Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 09:17:30

3 yr old been complaining of tummy ache for a week but conveniently seemed to be when she wanted carrying so has been basically ignored

has also been pooing and weeing around the house despite having perfect self-toileting for about 4 months (slight intermittent diarrhea)

So yesterday she fell asleep on couch at 4.10pm woke up at 5.20pm and whinged .. then became disorientated and floppy.. high temp (39.2) gave nurofen .. complaining of tummy ache .. but it isn't tender to the touch

By time NHS direct called back she was jumping around like normal but still hot

All night spiking temps .. nurofen .. woke up at 6.30 with 39.9 temp .. more nurofen (yes I know I can give calpol too) and complaining of tummy pain

doctors at 10.50

arrghhh .. what do you think is wrong ... and will chocolate assuage guilt

Nbg Fri 22-Jun-07 09:19:59

could just be a virus.

We've had D&V this week and this sounds exactly like what my dd was like. Spiking temps, dozing in and out of sleep.

foxinsocks Fri 22-Jun-07 09:21:34

virus?

urine infection?

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 09:22:01

I think you're right NBG .. but am now cross that I'm going to have to wait for 40 min in doctor's surgery to be told its a virus

<harrumph>

sniff Fri 22-Jun-07 09:22:59

chocolate always cures guilt!!!

hope she feels better soon

foxinsocks Fri 22-Jun-07 09:25:59

don't forget to tell them about the wee accidents because they may want to rule out a UTI

NerdMagnet Fri 22-Jun-07 09:26:22

poss uti?

NerdMagnet Fri 22-Jun-07 09:27:07

sorry, FIS, just read your previous post.

moo Fri 22-Jun-07 09:27:37

It is probably viral - poor wee Twiglette, hope she feels better soon.

Oh, btw - I had hep B when I was 5 (caught it in hospital after an operation) and my Mum refused to believe I was ill and thought I was attention seeking (having been the centre of attention while in hospital). She finally took me to the GP after I threw up, spectacularly, over the dinner table after protesting that I wasn't hungry. He took one look at me and said "did you not notice she was yellow?"

I've never let her forget it...

Nbg Fri 22-Jun-07 09:27:49

Take in a wee sample too. Saves buggering about at the dr's.

UTI would cause tummy pain.
Has anyone else felt ill?

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 09:31:43

what would I take a wee sample in in (that sounds weird but doesn't work with only one 'in')

doesn't it have to be a sterile container?

Nbg Fri 22-Jun-07 09:33:05

Just get her to wee in a potty if she will and stick in a very very clean plastic box.

Boil your kettle and pour the water in the container first to kill any bacteria.

NerdMagnet Fri 22-Jun-07 09:33:30

you could ask for a bottle at the GP reception when you arrive.

foxinsocks Fri 22-Jun-07 09:44:44

yes, you can get a sterile pot from the surgery. It's a messy job, getting urine samples from children!

(quite often, if they suspect a UTI, they'll give the antibiotics anyway just in case)

RubberDuck Fri 22-Jun-07 09:50:29

Aw, Twig ... sorry to hear she's still not very well Hope everything goes okay at the docs.

BandofMothers Fri 22-Jun-07 09:52:32

Twi, sorry about lo, I didn't realise you were curmudgeon

BandofMothers Fri 22-Jun-07 09:52:54

That should say Twig obv, god I can not type this am

growingbagpuss Fri 22-Jun-07 09:55:58

Don't feel too guilty - I packed my son off the nursery with Chicken pox on tuesday - thinking the few red marks he had were midgy bites.

My friends son broke his arm falling down stairs, dad didn't think it was bad, left him for 3 days with a broken arm....!!

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 09:59:13

NBG thanks for urine advice .. have a small pot on the side waiting

Unfortunately we don't own potties any more .. so she had to wee in a mixing bowl (euwwwwww) s'ok though its the one we use for changing the fish water (yes I sterilised it) .. but she found it delightful (am now afraid for my mixing bowls)

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 10:00:18

BOM .. this is me when I'm grumpy

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 10:03:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 12:38:00

Its a UTI

and she's being referred to a paediatrician for an ultra-sound which GP said was protocol

is it?

foxinsocks Fri 22-Jun-07 12:39:48

yes

(can vary on area but it is round here. We had to do it with dd - they just check their kidneys are ok, and that there are no structural abnormalities. In most cases, especially as she's not suffered with these a lot, everything is OK.)

Curmudgeonlett Fri 22-Jun-07 12:40:23

thanks fox

sniff Fri 22-Jun-07 12:40:41

how olds is she my dd is going through these tests our consultant said the younger they are the more they have to test

she is having an ultrasound a scan with dye and a catheter scan its to rule out reflux of the bladder ad she has been on small dose of ab since every day to keep it at bay

thay test the wee and depending on number of white cells depends on tests I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now