Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know the quantities for making baby saline solution?

(10 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Thu 21-Jun-07 18:11:37

Can't bring myself to spend £3 on a bottle of salt and water from the chemist's! Also how long can I keep it for before I should chuck it?

MrsThierryHenry Thu 21-Jun-07 18:12:05

Sorry - I should clarify - I mean saline nose drops!

MrsThierryHenry Thu 21-Jun-07 18:22:46

bump - anyone?

MrsThierryHenry Fri 22-Jun-07 00:09:24

awww...nobody loves me

mears Fri 22-Jun-07 00:11:10

Why make them when you can get them for nothing on prescription?

MrsThierryHenry Fri 22-Jun-07 00:18:17

Because that requires a doctor's appointment first. If I can make it myself I don't see why I should waste the doctor's time. Anyway I did a bit of googling and found what I was looking for.

wrinklytum Fri 22-Jun-07 00:20:50

saline drops from chemist for dd lasted 1 month.

mears Fri 22-Jun-07 00:27:58

Even if you made them, how would you administer them? Do you have a dropper?

The solution is usually 1 teaspoon salt to 1 pint of water BTW

You probably only need to phone the doctor to get prescription

MrsThierryHenry Fri 22-Jun-07 00:29:37

I do have a dropper, from a previous prescription. But I didn't know I could just call and get a new one...will do that tomorrow as we're going away. Cheers.

shangrila Fri 22-Jun-07 13:49:48

My GP used to send me away to make my own saline too. As a first time mum, I found the whole thing baffling. I asked my chemist and he came up with the 1 tsp to 1 pint sterilized water too. Kept for up to a day in the fridge but it did get ridiculously cold. I was told to use it on a cotton wool pad for cleaning crusty eyelids. Whole thing seemed quite prehistoric but I comforted myself with traditional remedies etc. Good luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now