Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Blood in vomit in nearly 2yo?? How worried should I be?

(16 Posts)
Skyler Wed 20-Jun-07 12:48:09

I have an appt at the docs for 2.30 this afternoon but was wondering if anyone has any experience. DD2 has been sick every 15 mins for two hours this morning. She is just retching and has nothing left to bring up. She has had a break of an hour but just been sick again twice in the last half hour and brought bits of blood up in her bile. Has this happened to you. Poor little mite is trying to play now so she is up and active, but I am a bit concerned. Anyone??? TIA

MintyDixCharrington Wed 20-Jun-07 12:50:49

this may be because of a very irritated stomach (basically bits of stomach lining)

could be because of the constant vomiting, but alternatively you haven't been giving her nurofen/ibuprofen for fever have you? It is vicious to small stomachs, particularlyempty ones. I never use it now

poor little thing. good luck at the doctors

Skyler Wed 20-Jun-07 12:54:11

No she has no temperature so she hasn't even had Calpol.
Poor thing. Not too serious then, but sounds very sore for her

MintyDixCharrington Wed 20-Jun-07 12:55:48

Well I don't know... but I would guess that if the blood has only just started, and she has been sick and retching all morning, the blood is BECAUSE of the sickness etc and not a worrying symptom in its own right IYSWIM

good luck!

Skyler Wed 20-Jun-07 12:58:03

Thank you. What you say makes sense and was my initial feeling, but I needed some reassurance....Glad I have the docs appt this afternoon though.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Jun-07 13:01:03

Hmmm, there's a shot they give you for this, but I don't know if it's safe for little ones.

Has she taken (and kept) any water since this morning? Is she looking dehydrated?

(The blood is "normal", giving the vomiting. But the vomiting has me a bit worried, if she keeps up, I'd be inclined to A+E her, anyway.)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Jun-07 13:01:18

(Shot for the vomiting, I mean. Not the blood.)

lou33 Wed 20-Jun-07 13:03:49

what colour is hte blood?

Skyler Wed 20-Jun-07 13:07:39

Blood is bright red, so fresh I guess. There are streaks of it in the bile rather than her puking all blood if that makes sense. She has had one beaker of water on the go since this morning. It is about half gone, but I don't think she has kept much of it down tbh. Fist nappy only slightly wet . She is talking a bit and not floppy although def tired. She is drinking now.

lou33 Wed 20-Jun-07 13:15:24

i think the general consenus is if it is fresh blood, then that is less something to be worried about than old blood iyswim

its probably the strain of her vomiting, poor thing

Skyler Wed 20-Jun-07 13:23:18

Yes I think that is right too. She is asking for toast now . And has just taken her nappy off and run away from me when I tried to put it back on which I am taking as a good sign . Oh I hope it doesn't last long. It is horrid seeing their little bodies shaking with the retching .

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Jun-07 21:12:37

Is she better now? What did the GP do?

Skyler Thu 21-Jun-07 21:28:08

Thanks for your message. The doc thought that the blood was just little blood vessels that had burst with her vomiting so hard. She didn't throw up all afternoon or night but was sick again this morning and very whingey and unsettled, but she perked up this afternoon after another long sleep and ate some dry toast for tea. I have never seen a child eat so fast so I was sure it would come back up but she seems fine and is now in bed. It is her birthday tomorrow so I have been busy trying to decorate a bit and make her cake. All done now so I just hope she is recovered. DH is throwing up now , so obviously a bug. I hope I don't get it as I have a rare night out tomorrow. The doc said to take her back tomorrow morning if she wasn't well but I am hopeful now. Thanks again.

MintyDixCharrington Thu 21-Jun-07 21:37:17

oh fantastic, glad she is getting back to normal

wash your hands every time you pass a sink and do all the towels, tea towels (especially) and sheets on a hot wash, and you'll probably be fine!

used2bthin Thu 21-Jun-07 21:40:36

hi my dd (*m at time)had this recently. Its called a mallory weis tear, as u said, the stomach lining stuff gets torn through retching or coughing. We called an ambulance as she's got a medical condition so have to be careful but the drs at hospital were fairly relaxed about it when it happened a second time and she's now on gaviscon and ranetidine to help heal and prevent it. Poor little girl though, must be painful. DD was off her food for a while after but i just gave her soft stuff.

Skyler Fri 22-Jun-07 10:02:53

Oh your poor little one.
DD2 is very bright today and has enjoyed her birthday treat breakfast of jam on toast. I am holding off on the dairy until after lunch though, but thankfully she seems over it and is playing beautifully with her new ELC castle (courtesy of Hulagirl in Jan lol).
I am washing my hands alot and have cleaned the bathroom again, esp loos. Thanks for the tip of washing all towels though, I hadn't thought of that even though it is obvious now you have said it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: