Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thread worms - how long before the symptoms go?

(18 Posts)
larahusky Sun 17-Jun-07 20:52:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foxinsocks Sun 17-Jun-07 20:55:51

normally around 48 hours if it's really bad

don't forget to take the second dose in 2 weeks time

(I reckon you've not been a mother till you've had threadworms and nits )

larahusky Sun 17-Jun-07 22:00:25

ungratefuldaughter Mon 18-Jun-07 09:00:41

washing and hoovering won't help but scrubbing under fingernails best thing,

there is a scientist who deliberately got threadworms as he was very allergic did wonders for his asthma

larahusky Mon 18-Jun-07 10:40:15

colditz Mon 18-Jun-07 10:42:39

Ungratefuldaughter - did it improve his asthma permenantly? Or just while he had thread worms?

FioFio Mon 18-Jun-07 10:49:23

Message withdrawn

Elibean Mon 18-Jun-07 14:20:38

Fio, or anyone, those whose LOs couldn't sleep - was that as in, getting to sleep? Or staying asleep? Just wondering, as dd1 having tummyaches and trouble getting to sleep - suspect its more to do with having a little sister than threadworm, but as she's at pre-school worth arming myself with info.

Still don't know whether dd1 had threadworms last autumn or not - she had itchy/sore bits but Ovex didn't seem to make a huge difference, nor did I ever see a worm before or after (she was still using a potty). DH says it was pregnancy-induced paranoia on my part, and eczema/badly wiped bum on dds

ungratefuldaughter Mon 18-Jun-07 15:30:55

tis based on a theory that people living in parts of world where worm infestations are endemic get very few allergies and the white cells which react to parasitic infections are very high in people with allergies - as if the cells have nothing to do so react in the wrong way still very much experimental

FioFio Mon 18-Jun-07 15:32:20

Message withdrawn

KerryMum Mon 18-Jun-07 15:34:59

Lara - You DO have to do all that stuff to get rid of any eggs which may be lying around waiting to reinfect. I'd be interested in hearng where ungrateful got her information becuase I have NEVER heard or read that anywhere! Fingernails short yes, but also absolutely cleaning, boil washing, dusting etc. daily.

Elibean Mon 18-Jun-07 16:40:52

Thanks, Fio. Hmm. Not wanting to set off on another wild worm chase, but maybe a round of Ovex wouldn't hurt?? I was thinking it was more a case of light evenings, being 3.5 and not wanting to miss out on the action, etc...but who knows...

FioFio Mon 18-Jun-07 16:41:58

Message withdrawn

ungratefuldaughter Mon 18-Jun-07 18:05:44

Try this site amongst many others,

www.medinfo.co.uk

worms come out lay eggs cause irritation child scratches bottom eggs get under fingernails child bites nails or eats so gets reinfected, also touches other peoples hands

have been teaching this for years to medics, nurses, and pharmacists so have to keep up with information

KerryMum Mon 18-Jun-07 18:59:09

Yes but the adult worm can lay up to 10,000 eggs! Those eggs can get on underwear, jammies, bedding, in the air when sheets are changed, towels etc. Especially if child is not showered first thing in the morning.

I have been through this 3 times! I have read just about everything there is to read about this. Telling her to just keep fingernails short and don't do anything about cleaning and hygiene (i.e. showering first thing in the morning, particularly washing bum area) is just irresponsible imo.

larahusky Mon 18-Jun-07 19:31:54

KerryMum Tue 19-Jun-07 09:47:25

lara - how is she doing today?

Don't forget to redose in 2 weeks.

I know it's AWFUL isn't it? If you really want to freak yourself out - look at her poo for the next few days!

larahusky Fri 22-Jun-07 20:35:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now