Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice re: herbs for muscular and joint pain.

(12 Posts)
SueBaroo Fri 15-Jun-07 18:04:56

Hi, I'm hoping someone who knows something about herbal medicine might be able to give some direction. I normally take a cocktail of allopathic drugs to control my pain, which is based around my pelvis and hips, but I'm a bit fed up of the nasty side effects. Is there anything herbal that helps inflammation, and won't interfere with sleep?

manuka Fri 15-Jun-07 18:13:21

Hello!! I do aromatherapy and I've developed a fab painkilling oil which a few osteopaths now use and I'm hoping to get a rheumatologist interested.
If you want more details my email adress is ladygracegold@hotmail.com
But why are you in pain? Is it bones, muscular or nerves or something else??
There are different remedies you see.

emmatomATO Fri 15-Jun-07 18:17:39

I have chronic pain and when I get to the point where I want to cut my legs off I use a prescribed cream that has chillis in it.

It's called capsaicin. Once rubbed in you need to get past the point where it feels like your skin is on fire and then it develops into a long lasting heat treatment that eases things.

I know it's not herbal medicine like you were asking about but I'm sure there is a herbal alternative that contains chillis and not the other stuff in my cream and I've found that anything with heat involved can take the edge off the pain.

Hopefully some more herbal minded folk will be able to recommend something else for you.

SueBaroo Fri 15-Jun-07 18:58:16

It's an ongoing problem related to SPD from pregnancy, so it's all tendons and muscular pain and inflammation.

SueBaroo Fri 15-Jun-07 18:58:33

But I ain't pregnant, btw.

Weegle Fri 15-Jun-07 19:53:38

If it's the joints Rhus tox is supposed to be good. I've tried this but didn't notice massive difference but a friend has.

If you want something with no side affects - have you tried Voltarol (diclofenac) gel - this is an anti-inflammatory but as it is applied topically as needed it doesn't have any nasty effects. I have chronic pain in my pelvis (ankylosing spondylitis if you're interested) and even I find this useful on top of my regular medications.

SueBaroo Fri 15-Jun-07 20:02:16

Yeah, I have Voltarol in pill form and it does help but I think it's one of the ones messing with my sleep. The Doctor has just suggested sleeping pills, but I'm gonna start rattling soon...

Weegle Fri 15-Jun-07 21:24:26

Yes the pills of diclofenac are the worst for side effects. You shouldn't take them for long without other medications to "cover". I personally use the suppositories and think they are the bees knees but then my sleep is so bad I wouldn't know if that is a side effect. However when I can't sleep I use the diclofenac gel to "top up" to my max daily dose of diclofenac and it helps the pain to enable me to sleep - swings and round abouts.

Have you tried heat? The location makes it hard for hot water bottle to be comfortable but I use a heat pad and as I can lie flat on it, it can help before sleep.

SueBaroo Fri 15-Jun-07 22:11:14

Yes, we've got a heat lamp that helps relieve the pain sometimes. I'll speak to the doctor about a topical application, though, thanks. Like you say, swings and roundabouts.
Ever just get worn out with it? <knackered and fed up emoticon>

manuka Fri 15-Jun-07 22:15:38

My oil would help your situation. Its a very strong anti-inflammatory. I've had excellent results with it. If you're interested drop me a line.

Annie12 Wed 22-Aug-07 17:22:49

Can I suggest an osteopath for some kinds of joint pain but certainly my daughter is getting a lot better with post-partum joint pain (could be rheumatoid arthritis though) by going to an acupuncturist. It is working very very well. She has also been prescribed some herbs too.

vole3 Wed 22-Aug-07 22:00:26

Arnica - 30C is the stronger stuff, for genereal aches / pains / sprains
Litozin - rosehip essential fatty acids, like omega 3 etc
Ambrotose - essential sugars, made by a company called Mannatech which you can google. I was recommended to give it a go whilst waiting for the conventional rheumatoid drugs to work. Have ordered the stuff from sarah@sugars4life.com, and will let you know what results I get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now