Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Feel Free to Ignore I am " Venting"!!!

(76 Posts)
MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:45:54

Message withdrawn

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 08-Jun-07 15:47:58

I can't offer you any advice whatsoever, but I'm not going to ignore you either.

What a truly shitty situation. I hope you find a way through it x

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:48:10

Message withdrawn

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 08-Jun-07 15:49:06

Y9u are not a wimpoid.

Period pains are shite at the best of times love.


MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:49:11

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Fri 08-Jun-07 15:49:25

Oh dear. Okay some words of advice - GET HELP. He will not automatically be sectioned but he may need the help of the community psych team so he DOESN'T get worse.

Sounds like he's heading into a depressive spiral - you can't do any more than get him help - but that really is the best thing you can do for him.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope things improve soon.

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:49:25

Message withdrawn

ShowOfHands Fri 08-Jun-07 15:51:04

Oh MellowMa, I'm sorry.

When your brother was discharged from the psychiatric unit he should have received continuing care from a mental health team. Can you find out if he has a CPN or a consultant you can contact? This doesn't have to mean re-sectioning, but it does mean that he is afforded a level of support necessary for his health. Is he medicated?

I feel for you, I really do. It's a huge responsibility that is being foisted upon you. Is he the sort of man that can phone up and say 'I need help' to whoever was in charge of his care during his previous episode?

Mercy Fri 08-Jun-07 15:51:14

Do you know his GP or anyone who has dealt with your brother before?

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:51:32

Message withdrawn

ShowOfHands Fri 08-Jun-07 15:52:43

And a hot water bottle and chocolate are documented in the Lancet as possessing medicinal properties in relation to period pains.

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:55:49

Message withdrawn

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 15:56:20

Message withdrawn

Mercy Fri 08-Jun-07 16:05:15

Yes, I'd definitely speak to your other brother.

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 16:10:46

Message withdrawn

harleyd Fri 08-Jun-07 16:12:19

the doctor should send out a crisis response team who will come out and assess him. they may send him into a unit to orgnise medication and for observation for a few days. he should be able to go in as voluntartily rather than be sectioned.

3littlefrogs Fri 08-Jun-07 16:13:48

Trust your intuition - you know he needs professional help BEFORE he gets to a point where sectioning might become a possibility.

Actually sectioning is usually a last resort - if you couyld speak to his GP or a member of the mental health team you might be able to get some intervention now. Would your other brother have any information about who is or was responsible for his care? If he saw his GP recently, that would be the best place to start. (Do not be fobbed off by administrative staff).

I really hope you manage to get some help before the W/E.

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 16:15:49

Message withdrawn

MellowMa Fri 08-Jun-07 18:29:34

Message withdrawn

CalebandDylansmummy Fri 08-Jun-07 20:09:53

MellowMa, I'm sorry you have this to cope with. I have a similar situaion with my brother, but it has had to be placed on the back burner so to speak while I sort my parents out! My brothers problem came to light a few weeks ago just after my dads heart attack.

It sounds like you are the family member who ends up having to deal with these situations, like i always am, but it's bloody hard sometimes isn't it.

No brilliant advice I afraid, but lots of hugs and strong thoughts for you x

TnOgu Fri 08-Jun-07 20:20:12

He needs to be on medication and receive professional help.

Call the doctor and speak with him of all your concerns.

I've been through this and there is light at the end of the long tunnel, but only with proper medical care.

MellowMa Sat 09-Jun-07 10:36:55

Message withdrawn

MellowMa Sat 09-Jun-07 10:38:47

Message withdrawn

TnOgu Sat 09-Jun-07 12:07:20

just seen this mellow, sorry for delay.

Difficult.I don't wan't to give the wrong advice.

It's frightening for him and you, mental health is complex and the thing is that everyone responds differently to treatment.

Try and hang tight til appointment with Dr.

I know that when I broke down, being given medication helped me enourmously.

He will be mended with time, mellow

MellowMa Sat 09-Jun-07 17:11:47

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: