Talk

Advanced search

Hand hold and talk me down please!!

(10 Posts)
Blinkingblimey Sat 11-Aug-18 20:31:14

Hi all, I am 40 and have drunk wine pretty much every night for a long time. I recently cut down by quite a lot to just 2 nights a week and a ‘sensible’ amount. In the last few weeks i’ve felt very tired and have a nagging intermittent pain in my right abdomen. I’ve been to Dr’s but couldn’t get an appointment for bloods for a week so I paid for a private ultra sound scan. The scan deemed my liver to be the right size, shape and echotexture which I was greatly relieved by but my anxiety has still gone through the roof.....surely if the scan hasn’t picked up anything then it’s unlikely my liver is totally packing up?! Is anyone able to offer any reassurance? Thank you 🙏🏻....... & apologies for the double post, it’s a bit quiet on the other board tonight!!

sagasleathertrousers Sat 11-Aug-18 20:42:09

If the ultrasound had found anything I think that's a really good sign. So I would say it's unlikely it's your liver.

How much wine were you drinking and for how long, just out of interest? I often have a wobble about my liver packing up but every time I have a blood test (for stomach problems) it's come back ok (touchwood.) And now I'm pregnant so actually enjoying my enforced booze break! I probably drink four nights a week usually and socially about twice a month where I definitely 'binge.' It's always wine isn't it, I don't drink anything else!

sagasleathertrousers Sat 11-Aug-18 20:42:25

Hasn't, obviously!

Blinkingblimey Sat 11-Aug-18 21:37:36

Thank you Sagas. I have drunk between half a bottle and a bottle almost every night for at least 15 years (except when pregnant). Anyone else out there able to offer any reassurance?

Blinkingblimey Sun 12-Aug-18 13:59:33

Bump.....anyone? I’m shaking with worry and struggling to stay calm. Such an idiot.

Redteapot67 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:54:33

Isn’t the right side your appendix?

ElyElyOy Sun 12-Aug-18 19:58:45

Sounds more like gall stones than anything scary to me smile

www.nhs.uk/conditions/gallstones/symptoms/

A serious problem would be identified on the scan.

Blinkingblimey Sun 12-Aug-18 21:32:49

Thank you Ely - i’m Now feeling thoroughly nauseous but wondering whether it’s a symtom of my exceptionally heightened anxiety or a failing liver! I am also (rightly) berating myself for not stopping sooner (I have now!!)

Blinkingblimey Sun 12-Aug-18 21:34:13

It’s a little too high for appendix Red - otherwise i’d be at a&e in a shot!

ElyElyOy Sun 12-Aug-18 21:58:49

Probably the anxiety: have an apple or some mints, they will sort the nausea out smile

It could just be your gall bladder readjusting to your reduced alcohol intake. Any major change in diet/lifestyle can cause a period of adjustment. When I stopped smoking and drinking I had odd headaches and thirst but it soon resolved smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: