Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

When to see doctor for broken/sprained finger?

(13 Posts)
Ihavenoideaatall Thu 09-Aug-18 17:42:59

I hurt my finger almost 5 weeks ago, and whilst it is a lot better than it was it is still swollen, painful if it gets a knock, and I don't have full movement.

Is it worth going to GP (my mum says I should 🙄) or will it sort itself out?

387I2 Thu 09-Aug-18 17:46:48

Your mum is right. Book an appointment tomorrow.

Ihavenoideaatall Thu 09-Aug-18 18:38:57

My mum is always right! Thank you smile

Elbbob Fri 10-Aug-18 19:04:59

Yes see your GP and ask for an x-ray to confirm fracture if not already had one and a referral to physiotherapy to ensure you regain full movement.
Fingers are small but importantsmile

Ihavenoideaatall Fri 10-Aug-18 21:45:15

Thanks. I didn't go to doc at all.

It's my ring finger so not an important finger.

gobbin Sat 11-Aug-18 07:41:44

Woman at work fell and had pain in her little finger. Required an op, plaster and was off work for 6 weeks!

Ihavenoideaatall Sat 11-Aug-18 09:09:39

That would be a nightmare! Just had a child in plaster for 6 weeks with a broken ankle.

PurpleWithRed Sat 11-Aug-18 09:13:03

Doctor will just refer you for an X-ray. Do you have a minor injuries clinic nearby you could go to instead? www.nhs.uk/service-search/Urgent-Care/LocationSearch/0. If you do check they do X-rays at weekends.

Ihavenoideaatall Sat 11-Aug-18 21:02:02

In Scotland so link doesn't work. One of the health centres close by has an xray machine but not always someone there to work it.

I'll make appointment next week, I promise!

Mum2jenny Sat 11-Aug-18 21:04:14

If I'd damaged any finger, I just strapped it to the next finger. Even when the finger was broken. I loathe A&E.

Ihavenoideaatall Sat 11-Aug-18 21:49:41

Me too - hence the 5 week gap between injury and wondering if I should get it seen to grin

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 11-Aug-18 22:12:56

Ds had a finger injury playing rugby.
I was planning on just strapping it to the next finger but the next day it went numb so on the advice of NHS direct we went to A&E.
He'd fractured it through the growth plate and it needed splinting fro several weeks and hand therapy afterwards.
I'm usually pretty relaxed about stuff like this so it all came as a big surprise that a small finger fracture would need so much attention!
Op, definitely get it looked at.

Ihavenoideaatall Sun 12-Aug-18 12:51:26

Ouch doesn't sound nice at all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: