Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotic Farts - please help me

(18 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 11:32:33

I've been put in strong antibiotics long term for cystic acne. It's not ideal but seems to be helping.

A delightful side effect is unbelievable farting/burping constantly. I am waking myself and DH up - it's mortifying. When I'm at work I swell up like a beach ball!

Any advice on what can calm it down? I'm eating natural yogurt every day.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
LanguidLobster Mon 02-Jul-18 12:21:31

Omg I remember that shock

I went on them as a teenager for toxic shock syndrome. It's hideous, you have my upmost sympathy! Yogurt sounds good, you might need to ask a nurse about anything else...it isn't pleasant

moreismore Mon 02-Jul-18 12:25:33

Poor you! The antibiotics will have wiped out the ‘good’ bacteria in your stomach, possibly making it harder for you to digest things like dairy/gluten. See if you can identify a trigger...
Natural yoghurt was the right instinct but you probably need a much higher dose of probiotic. Cytoplan do a good powdered one. Hope this helps!

moreismore Mon 02-Jul-18 12:27:03

Ps I’d also try a few days dairy-free. The lactofree milk is indistinguishable from normal milk IME! You can get goats milk yoghurts which are less likely to cause a reaction than cows milk. Dairy cooked/baked into things is most likely ok.

Treeballarae Mon 02-Jul-18 12:34:36

You have my sympathies, it sounds awful.

Maybe peppermint tea to help the bloating and google wind releasing exercises to help get what's inside out.

To hopefully reduce it going forward, I would say probiotics to replace the good bacteria that have been killed off.

Optibac do a probiotic capsule for taking while on antibiotics, in a green box, I've never used these particular ones but I use some of their other varieties and I would recommend them, but there will be other probiotic brands you can take with antibiotics out there if you can't get hold of them.

Hope you get some relief from it soon.

Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 13:05:32

Thanks so much - it's pretty shocking - both quantity and volume! Luckily no smell, so far. I can't believe I woke Dh up - he deadpanned
"I'll just grab the blanket, I think it's stuck on the ceiling"
Oh god

I didn't know dairy was an issue - I have very little generally - just milk in tea. I eat a lot of fruit and veg and having 2 BBQ corn on the cobs last night was a terribly idea.

I'll look into the pro biotics and have juts made a pint of mint tea - I def don't need any release exercises. A bung perhaps might be more appropriate!

BlankTimes Mon 02-Jul-18 13:28:04

Definitely more probiotics and less gas-producing food. Carbs can be very gassy as can carby veg.

Miso paste is good, make sure it's active, usually the brown paste in a jar is. Other fermented foods, how about kefir, think you can get non-dairy varieties.

LanguidLobster Mon 02-Jul-18 15:01:28

If it's any consolation, it stops pretty quickly afterwards. You said long term, you mean a few weeks? Sorry sweetie smile

Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 15:13:30

I've been on them a month and have another 2 to go.......

It's like having a jet pack!

Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 22:14:39

I've ordered some pro bionics - I hope they work - I feel so embarrassed blush

Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 22:14:59

biotics - wow I wonder what pro bionics would do.....

tribpot Mon 02-Jul-18 22:18:42

Combined with your jet pack the pro bionics would definitely make you a super hero. Have you considered who you would like to play you in the movie?!

It sounds grim (hilarious, but grim) Sarahjconnor, I hope you can find a way to deflate soon.

Sarahjconnor Mon 02-Jul-18 22:41:56

You've got to laugh eh? I can be GUFFGIRL!! grin

9amTrain Fri 06-Jul-18 16:44:00

Oh my god OP I thought you were exaggerating but I'm in the same boat now!

I accidentally farted in Subway today and I'm sure the guy cried when I left.

Sarahjconnor Fri 06-Jul-18 17:29:48

The pro biotics have kicked in and are really helping smile

themightylolly Wed 19-Feb-20 12:17:26

Same problem here after starting antibiotics for cystic acne... I now have great skin but the most god awful putrid smelling farting problem. Decided to get some probiotics as suggested, there were some with 1 million types of good bacteria or 3 million...conclusion! the higher the better, if these don’t work I’ll have to find a different antibiotic... yesterday I was actually housebound the farts were so bad shock

Oldmum55 Wed 19-Feb-20 18:03:20

Have you tried old fashioned charcoal tablets? I found they helped a lot when I too had similar embarrassing side effects from antibiotics!

themightylolly Thu 20-Feb-20 09:37:21

Oh I saw those yesterday in H&B, I will get some in addition to the probiotics.... hoping today will be better ... thanks 🙏

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »