Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Blood in stool

(2 Posts)
chocoholic30 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:32:35

Hello

I recently had a stool test done and the results were positive for red blood cells (microscopy) but negative for fecal occult blood. I know I need to book an appointment with my GP but I have no obvious signs of bleeding and I'm not sure if it's urgent or not.

What's the difference between rbc and fob? I have bad constipation that started a few months ago hence the private test.

Thank you for reading.

Limpopobongo Sat 16-Jun-18 15:54:28

Not an expert but FOB ,,usually indicates blood emanating from within i.e the gastro intestinal tract/bowel. Occult in this instance means "hidden" and has nothing to do with the worship of Beelzebub. The suggestion might be that the trace blood is coming from lower down,maybe fissure or hemorrhoids ? This might tie in nicely with your constipation. Suggestion..up your water intake and when on the loo,adopt a posture where your legs are drawn up toward your chest and your heels rest on the front edge of the loo seat...and take your time !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: