Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ear wax,help

(13 Posts)
princesstiasmum Wed 13-Jun-18 00:10:02

Can anyone advise me on what to do for ear wax that will not move,
I have used warm olive oil, Otex and done this for 3 weeks, my right ear is just packed,and i cant hear a thing with it
I have been for syringing,and that wont get it out either
I apparently have very narrow ear canals ,which also slant upwards
I have to carry on with trying to soften it for another 2 weeks,
Anything else i can do ?

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Wed 13-Jun-18 00:14:21

Google microsuction, there may be a clinic near you, it’s supposed to be more effective than syringing, in my area it cost about £60 for both ears. You have my sympathies, blocked ears are horrible.

princesstiasmum Wed 13-Jun-18 10:37:20

BettyBoo thank you for your reply, but the reason they wont do anymore is because they say 2 of their patients have ended up in hospital with perforated eardrums, so will just keep trying, but my local chemist says Otex is better than olive oil, i have used both
So i darent try anything that might damage them, just wondered if anything would work better

SendYouUpinFlames Wed 13-Jun-18 10:40:37

Have you tried ear candles?

They're fantastic. I have the same problem as you. Very narrow so it is very hard to get wax out and it gets very stuck and goes hard.

You need someone to help you with it. It only takes about 15 minutes per ear. It is really relaxing and it does not hurt.

Oh and it works fantastic. It gets so much wax out it is unreal!

MiltonRoad Wed 13-Jun-18 10:46:09

Don’t use ear candles, they don’t work and can be dangeroushmm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

Marv1nGay3 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:56:50

Microsuction will not damage your ears. It is a completely different procedure from syringing. It is syringing that carries the risks you mention. I too suffer from narrow ear canals and have to have microsuction every few months .You don’t need to soften the wax for microsuction. I would NEVER have my ears syringed. I had it done once years ago and ended up with a horrible infection as a result.

princesstiasmum Wed 13-Jun-18 10:57:33

Ear canles has been suggested by someone ,but i would be a bit worried they wopuld cause more harm
I had to go to an ENT surgeon once who used a hook to get the wax out,
I will persevere a bit longer
The nurse was a bitch, she kept asking if i had put cotton wool in, and more or less said if had its my own fault, i told her 3 times i hadnt,
Then she said sit up straight, i already was

Spartacunt Wed 13-Jun-18 13:00:01

Why don't you want to have microsuction? Ear candles are useless and dangerous, syringing is not recommended any more.

OnTopOfSpaghetti Wed 13-Jun-18 13:05:11

My 14yr old recently had micro suction because he'd shoved wax down into his ear with a cotton bud (unknown to me and he's learnt his lesson!) We had to go private to get it done as the nurse wouldn't go near him with a syringe, I completely agree with others recommending it. It was completely painless and the guy doing it very skilled. As an adult you should be able to go to an earwax clinic and pay to get it done.

SendYouUpinFlames Wed 13-Jun-18 14:21:12

Well they do work. They've brought so much wax out of my ears in the last few years.

Alabasterangel6 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:30:24

Please try microsuction. My 7 YO had it done for a stubborn blockage in narrow canals and it worked brilliantly.

And yes, candles don’t work. The muck that comes out is already in the candles! There was a whole experiment with them on watchdog I think. They set light to them using an inanimate object and still drew wax out. There are also medical studies which show them being used with proper typanometic measurements, cameras, the lot. They draw nothing out but what is already a formulaic part of the candle which is (conveniently) made from beeswax and cotton, so it’s the same colour as earwax. Avoid!

SendYouUpinFlames Wed 13-Jun-18 15:10:42

@Alab so the 'wax' that is in the stick once used isn't actually wax out of your ears? Gross.

princesstiasmum Wed 13-Jun-18 15:35:21

Spartacunt i didnt say i dont want to have microsuction,,
I dont know if there are any ear clinics here,i will make enquiries though, i have never heard of any ,but i dont really want to have to pay for it if i can help it,but i dont want to have ear candles

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: