Talk

Advanced search

Can hay fever make you feel completely shit ?

(35 Posts)
Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 15:26:55

Only had it for a couple of years and the tablets seem to work well for the itchy throat , runny eyes etc... but I still feel completely shit (tired, irritated, can't be bothered doing anything ) just wondered if this is a common symptom of hay fever or unrelated and it's just a coincidence ?

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Tue 12-Jun-18 15:30:31

Yes it definitely can (and hope you feel better soon).

Tufts2018 Tue 12-Jun-18 15:35:54

Yes it definitely can! Sorry you are suffering. It's a miserable time of year.

Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 15:40:40

Thanks both... not felt like this before and wondered if if it was something elseconfused its yuk, but at least I know it's normal then , I'll just stay indoors for summer confusedwink, cheers

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Tue 12-Jun-18 15:48:12

Yes it can. I take the tablets and the nasal spray first thing in the morning and find it helps a little bit.

AnneWiddecombesHandbag Tue 12-Jun-18 15:51:09

Ugh yes it can. It's miserable!

OneShotFinch Tue 12-Jun-18 15:52:38

Yes it can! Although I do find that the tablets themselves make me feel crap! Even the supposedly non drowsy ones leave me feeling tired, snappy, lethargic. And I know it's the tablets, as I have had to take them for other reasons and always feel the same! I tend to stick to the nasal spray to manage my hayfever syptoms as it has less side effects for me.

Hope you feel better soon x

Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 15:56:15

@OneShotFinch oooh good point , whoa I actually think it does seem worse when I take the tablets shock will try the sprays etc for a few days instead and see if there's any difference

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 12-Jun-18 15:58:19

Yes, some years are worse than others I find & this year seems particularly bad.

WizardOfToss Tue 12-Jun-18 16:00:16

Absolutely it can - I think it's a combo of the miserable symptoms and the drugs. It makes me feel really low.

Hope you feel better soon - mine's lifting a bit as the worst of the grass pollen dissipates.

Crocky Tue 12-Jun-18 16:01:27

This year has been awful. I am feeling so sleepy. The hay fever itself, the medication and the not being able to get a decent nights sleep because of the hay fever.

sexnotgender Tue 12-Jun-18 16:02:44

Yup, it’s utterly miserable. Exhausted, sneezing and scratching my eyes most days.

DaffoDeffo Tue 12-Jun-18 16:03:26

yes that's how I feel. It is awful this year. Had to spend all of Saturday in bed.

top tips
wear sunglasses when out
close your windows at home (I know it is hot)
shower as soon as you come in

some antihistamines make you drowsy and some don't (and it's different for everyone - e.g. piriton doesn't make me drowsy but it knocks my friend out for hours!)

Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 16:03:26

I just feel hungover all the time (even though I've not had alcohol ) and completely exhausted

DorisDay88 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:08:44

Definitely does, my irritability has had no bounds for the last two days
It sometimes helps me to have two showers a day as it washes all the pollen out of my hair and makes me slightly more human for a few hours
I tend to avoid hair gel, body cream and similar when the pollen counts high as I think the pollen sticks to it

swingofthings Tue 12-Jun-18 17:09:18

Oh yes! Very high grass pollen count this week. Tough on sufferers. Yes, it does make you feel totally knackered, drained, unmotivated and therefore moody!

N0tfinished Tue 12-Jun-18 17:14:09

Have you tried Neoclarytin?(sp?) My DS2 usually has a terrible time all summer long but he's doing really well this summer. All the OTC ones made him so sleepy and discombobulated. GP told me to give consistently April - October, and it's really worked.

Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 21:22:02

Does hay fever also make u hungry ? (Or is that just my excuse) I've been ravenous for days too hmm

Crocky Tue 12-Jun-18 22:02:59

I don’t know about hungry but I’m eating everything in sight just because it’s the only was to get some vague relief from the non stop itching in my mouth, throat and ears.

Cheto Tue 12-Jun-18 22:04:29

I'm really missing winter ATM sad

vampirethriller Tue 12-Jun-18 22:08:36

Antihistamines definitely make me feel tired and sluggish and if I drink alcohol when I've taken them, the hangover is much much worse!

redshoeblueshoe Tue 12-Jun-18 22:14:38

I'm sick of it. I too feel like I'm hungover but without the alcohol roll on winter

enoughbananas Tue 12-Jun-18 22:15:48

It's worth looking at what anti histamine you tablet you are taking. I've found some make me feel worse than others- if I take piriton I can't stay awake and am generally unpleasant to be around

Moshmoshi Tue 12-Jun-18 22:17:49

I feel exactly the same when my hayfever is bad. I've been prescribed the Avamys spray for a few years now and it is life-changing for me!

peanutbutter310 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:18:42

It's horrible. I've been on prescribed AH for the last couple of years, they worked well before but aren't getting anywhere close this summer sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: