Talk

Advanced search

Potential broken arm

(28 Posts)
putonyourdancingshoes Mon 11-Jun-18 20:30:56

I have potentially broken my arm (X-ray this week to confirm). Looking for people's experiences. Upon injury and for first few days there was minimal pain but now i have a dull ache most of the day, I had thought if it was broken it would be agonising immediately. Been told not to do much with it so I'm not at work. It is also my dominant hand.

If you have had the same what was the pain like? Were you able to drive?

And (very shallow of me I know) if you had to get a cast, did you have the option of the colour ? And what did you choose?

lljkk Mon 11-Jun-18 21:53:12

Yup, you get option of colour!!
How long ago did you have the impact that would have caused a break?
They don't always hurt hugely, ime, but there's a kind of "Wow what a shock" feeling in the body for at least a day afterwards. Usually swelling & limited mobility is what made me realise about one break, rather than anything else.

putonyourdancingshoes Tue 12-Jun-18 20:36:49

It was Thursday. Not much pain Thursday Friday or Saturday but after that it's been aching. Just can't wait to have this X-ray and figure out one way or another!

FrancesHouseman Tue 12-Jun-18 20:46:29

Why the delay in the xray? Usually you show up to A&E, get an X-ray and you know one way or another there and then. I don't get why it's booked in for "this week".

distantstars Tue 12-Jun-18 20:54:41

I had something similar... it wasn't broken,was quite disappointed, OH had built my hopes up for a pink cast!

And if your hospital is anything like mine, I had to wait 4 days for the results so by time you have x Ray, get the results they prob won't do anything anyway!!!

putonyourdancingshoes Wed 13-Jun-18 11:26:38

I had an X-ray on the Thursday but they couldn't see anything, however it's an apparently Awkward bone to diagnose a break straight away and can usually only be seen after 10-14 days confused

llangennith Wed 13-Jun-18 11:50:28

Go back to A&E.

JohnHunter Wed 13-Jun-18 21:11:16

@llangennith Why back to A&E?

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:17:04

Radiographer here, what bone are they querying ?

endofthelinefinally Wed 13-Jun-18 21:21:54

I had to wait 2 days for my x ray. I knew I had a fracture so I got a big scarf, put my arm in a sling and kept it still. I think it is important not to do more damage until you know.

JohnHunter Wed 13-Jun-18 21:35:06

@Oddcat Presumably a scaphoid?

FaithEverPresent Wed 13-Jun-18 21:39:52

Scaphoid fractures are notoriously difficult to spot on an initial x-Ray and are generally not picked up until days or even weeks later. Often they will assume it’s broken and x-ray again after a couple of weeks.

I don’t think you should drive if you’re struggling. I would use a scarf like endofthelinefinally suggests to give it support.

I would definitely have the purple!

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:42:37

I thought scaphoid but Op said arm.

lljkk Wed 13-Jun-18 21:45:19

I had to google scaphoid, couldn't it feel like an arm problem & how would OP possibly know the difference?

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:49:27

It's more wrist , I'm just going by what we would be asked to X-ray if scaphoid fracture was suspected.

Moggie45 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:50:33

I chose my cast colour - pink and they also added glitter on top! I was passed a swatch of colours to choose from (Frimley Park Hospital) It was perfect for summer and was gutted when I had it cut off!

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:53:17

They do some fab plaster casts , we have Christmas ones and ones with footballs on.

lljkk Wed 13-Jun-18 21:56:36

My wrist is part of my arm. I wouldn't know the difference. <shrug>

All my breaks were top of arm near the wrist, actually. If you told me that they were wrist I would believe you.

JohnHunter Wed 13-Jun-18 22:06:59

The OP said "arm" but then wrote "dominant hand" in their post. I can't think of any other bone in the upper limb that's prone to occult fractures and routinely re-imaged 10-14 days later. @putonyourdancingshoes - come back!

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 22:10:34

I was trying to help the op and to a radiographer if someone says 'arm' that would be just 2 bones (radius and ulnar) , wrist includes many more bones.

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 22:11:33

Lets just hope it's not the scaphoid , awkward little buggers !

JohnHunter Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:02

Hmm. "Arm" to me would mean humerus and the radius/ulna would be "forearm". Thankfully "XR arm" isn't an option on our system otherwise it's anyone's guess which part of the patient would get irradiated ;-)

putonyourdancingshoes Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:30

Hey guys, ahhh yes I fear the scaphoid was mentioned! The pain radiates from thumb to elbow so that's why I mentioned arm. Starting to feel it more on the underside of my wrist.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 13-Jun-18 22:58:22

Broken my wrist back end of March. Still not driving, another couple of weeks. But I needed surgery also. To be far that didn't happen until 2 weeks after the break but I was in cast all that time. 4 casts in total, I only got to chose the colour for the last hard cast for 2 weeks!

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 13-Jun-18 23:00:40

That was radius and ulna.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: