Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Night sweats

(10 Posts)
Littlechocola Mon 11-Jun-18 16:35:30

I’ve had night sweats for a while but I’m now not sleeping, I wake up dripping in sweat and having to change the bedding daily. Really not nice for my partner.
I assumed it was my age but have been told to see the gp.
I was shocked to get an appointment for tomorrow.
Now I’m going to worry all night (although I won’t be getting much sleep anyway!).
What should I expect? Blood tests? To be told it’s summer and I’m 40 and to go away?
I can’t decide if I am wasting their time or if I’m seriously ill!

theconstantinoplegardener Mon 11-Jun-18 16:41:18

Do you have any other symptoms? Irregular periods, aching joints, hot flushes, mood swings? What about weight loss, a persistent cough, fever? I don't think you're wasting the doctor's time because it's good to get these things checked. Even if it is "just" the menopause, you may benefit from some advice or intervention.

Littlechocola Mon 11-Jun-18 16:52:42

Irregular and short periods. No other symptoms apart from constantly run down and tired.

Mrsmorton Mon 11-Jun-18 16:55:30

I've posted in here before about mine. Blood tests and chest x Ray seem to be usual. Takes a while to get through the list of causes!

Littlechocola Mon 11-Jun-18 16:57:30

Thank you Mrsmorton. Can I be nosey and ask if you were okay?

UFOoccupant Mon 11-Jun-18 19:56:36

Ive also been having sweats for a while, basic blood test were ok, dr didnt think it was hormonal as i had a hysterectomy at 39 and have been on hrt since, i am now 48. But now i have arthritis in my hand but also my other hand, fingers, big toe joint and knees are hurting, swollen and my fingers have developed nodules on them. In fact i was woken last night by bad pain in my right hand.I have had terrible fatigue for years, put down to fibro. I also have vit b12 deficiency and vit d deficiency.

I guess i will have to go back to docs, even if just to get some painkillers as i cant take ibuprofen. I wonder if i might have RAconfused

Littlechocola Tue 12-Jun-18 00:30:46

UFO, that sounds awful. Poor you. Definitely go back

Mrsmorton Tue 12-Jun-18 17:20:35

Yes, they've never found a cause. I take a medication called oxybutinin now which isn't licensed for it but stopped my sweats within a week.

digerd Tue 12-Jun-18 18:20:05

Oh , I took Oxybutinin for a while for bladder leakages which gave me a very dry mouth. I stopped them a few years ago and was fine. I did read that in severe cases of sweating it is also taken to dry up the sweat glands as well as the bladder.

The night sweats are typical symptoms of the menopause and they went away when on HRT. Also had agonising aches and pains everywhere in my late 40s which again were cured by HRT.

However, 30 years on I began day-time hot flushes which I didn't have before and the HRT does not cure them so what it is the GP can't even be bothered to have a guess. Also the pains have returned with slipped discs.

I go hot and cold too without knowing why. I just get on with it as have more serious complaints of the heart and lungs.

You should be tested for Polymyalgia rheumatica but also RA.

As for GP he thinks all women who have night sweats and or day-time hot flushes must be menopausal even at my age at nearly 74.

Hope you get some answers and cures soon. Good luck

Littlechocola Wed 13-Jun-18 08:24:46

Thank you both. Appointment went well. I’m having blood tests and an ecg next week.
He said obviously could be my age but wanted to rule out other causes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: