Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pneumonia

(16 Posts)
Le1890 Sat 09-Jun-18 17:46:48

Hi

Just looking for a wee bit of advice on people’s experiences of recovery from pneumonia?

I started with flu like symptoms over 3 weeks ago then cough. Gp continually said chest was clear. However I went back and insisted something wasn’t right I was in so much pain trying to breath in, cough etc. I couldn’t bear to lay on my right side for the pain and could also feel a strange grating or popping if I did lay on this side.

Anyway was sent to hospital, bloods and chest X-ray confirmed pneumonia. Been in for a wee with iv antibiotics and discharged with a week worth of oral antibiotics.

Just very breathless still even doing simple things like taking a shower, getting dressed. Still have no appetite and temperatures on and off.

The doctors in hospital said I was young to have such a nasty infection (35) and wondered if any underlying medical conditions for which they have sent a host of bloods away for today. That’s freaked me out a bit. I’ve to go back for repeat chest X-ray in 6 weeks.

I am just wondering what your experiences of it have been?

Thanks x

Pattylogic Sun 10-Jun-18 15:29:06

I’m 40 and had pneumonia last autumn. It took a good 3 months to feel fit and week again and had to have 2 chest X-rays as the first still wasn’t clear after 6 weeks.

pandamodium Sun 10-Jun-18 16:05:14

I had it before Christmas, I had the "walking" type. Hospital was threatened after the first lot of antibiotics but the second lot shifted it. It still took me about a month too feel human 3 month to get back to normal but I think I overdid it and hindered my recovery.

Hope you feel better soon and your tests come back clear. I would try and take things as easy as you can, it sounds like a nasty bout.

Couchpotato3 Sun 10-Jun-18 16:08:31

Pneumonia can be really nasty and young people still die of it occasionally, despite modern antibiotics etc, so it's no wonder it can take months to fully recover. It sounds as though you still have some lingering infection (ongoing temperature) and I wouldn't be shy about going back to your GP again next week if it continues. Rest up, take it easy and be patient with yourself. flowers

LuluBellaBlue Sun 10-Jun-18 16:14:46

My (otherwise) very healthy son had it last year aged 13.
Took him probably 2 months.
No idea why it struck him down either.
Get well soon flowers

Nowgimmeagin Sun 10-Jun-18 16:27:10

I had pneumonia 3 years ago (at 34) turns out it was just bad luck. It took a good 3-4 weeks to feel capable of the day to day stuff and probably 3 months to feel 100% better. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Aragog Sun 10-Jun-18 16:28:11

I had pneumonia a few years back - would have been about 37ish I think. No underlying health conditions at the time.

Was in hospital in iv ABs and then ended up with another 3-4 weeks worth at home, and missed 7 weeks work.

Took longer to fully recover and ended up with an inhaler the following winter.

Give yourself a lot of time to recover and don't push yourself. Listen to your body carefully.

And if it isn't improving see the doctor. I needed another form of ABs.

Tenko Sun 10-Jun-18 16:42:01

I'm just recovering although not been as ill as others.
One of the hospital doctors said it can totally floor a 20 year old in peak physical health.

Le1890 Sun 10-Jun-18 19:47:21

Thanks everyone for your replies. It feels reassuring (although wouldn’t wish it on anyone!), to hear how other people have managed and their experiences.

One thing I’ve found tho is I don’t have this thick yellow or green plem I’ve read about. I am expelling some stuff but it’s only tinged yellow. Just a bit worried it’s all just staying in there and won’t go away!

Did anyone else not have the gunk?

Pattylogic Mon 11-Jun-18 22:03:20

No, I didn’t cough ANYTHING up at all! The cough was truly horrific but not once did I bring anything up. I did mention it to the dr who reassured me that the gunk wouldn’t just sit on my lungs (as I imagined) but would be absorbed by my body. I got a clear chest X-ray eventually so he must’ve been right!

Le1890 Tue 12-Jun-18 08:35:43

Hi Pattylogic

Thats good to know you were similar thanks so much! As it’s been worrying me too.

Fingers crossed then xx

applesandpears56 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:58:18

My oh had this twice - first time it improved massively with antibiotics very quickly, second time again improved very quickly but then left a lingering wheeze for months. He was super fit and healthy but a bit run down with stress each time.
Keep going back to gp if you aren’t improving they can give you steroid inhalers and pain relief if necessary

Le1890 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:03:57

Thanks. I think I will need to go back for more antibiotics. Due to finish the fri but can still hear and feel the creaking of my lung. Doubt will miraculously be away by fri.

I am feeling a good bit better strength wise. No more temperatures and I have my appetite back.

NotMyFinestMoment Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:46

I've had it twice, once in 2004 which took seven courses of antibiotics to clear it. I also had terrible back pain (pleurisy). Once the last courses of antibiotics were completed, it took a further three months to recover from it as I was really exhausted. I'm recently recovering from a second bout of it (this time not so severe in respect of pain/duration as I caught it early). My DC came home from nursery with a very nasty cough and chest infection about six weeks ago. I picked it up and it went to my chest giving me an awful cough, loss of appetite, on and off low grade fever, back pain and difficulty breathing (severe wheezing and creaky chest) and upper back and chest pain. I saw GP and was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia (blood tests showed a bacterial infection). First set of antibiotics didn't work (only the back pain stopped), put on a second course of antibiotics which did work. Also put on inhalers and high dose oral steroids (3 day course). Pneumonia has essentially gone but chest is taking a bit longer to recover as still breathless (minimally compared to before). Still feel absolutely exhausted and tired doing minor things like walking up the stairs, etc. Also likely to fall asleep pretty much anywhere (very unusual as I suffer from severe insomnia). Recent chest x-ray less then two weeks ago was clear. Still have no appetite, mild nausea and essentially exhausted. Based on previous experience, I expect to feel this way for around another three months.

Almostfifty Wed 13-Jun-18 22:38:13

I had it at 30. I was in hospital for a week with it, on IV antibiotics for four days. I didn't have any phlegm either, and the physio tried very hard to loosen it, to no avail.

It took me about two months to feel myself again, although it was winter and it probably was nearer six months before I was totally better. I was proper poorly though. Never had anything horrid like that again thank goodness.

tentative3 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:26:18

I had it in my 20s, managed to stay out of hospital but only just. It was horrible and I really frightened myself a couple of times with coughing fits that I couldn't end, could hardly breathe at all at times. I was knackered for a long time afterwards, totally exhausted at doing easy things and sadly my chest has never been the same since - I'm prone to wheezing and mild chest infections which I never was previously.

Take it easy and don't push yourself OP, you'll get there in the end but it's a serious illness and recovery is slow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: