Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What’s this on my stomach? (with photo)

(28 Posts)
lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 14:34:05

Excuse the flabby belly please. I just wondered if anyone knows what this patch of red, dry and scaly skin is on my stomach? It started as a little red spot, but a week or two later it’s about the size of my thumbnail. Google suggests eczema or psoriasis? I don’t have experience of either, apart from some very mild eczema on my arms a couple of years ago, but that just caused dry flaky skin, not redness.

CherryBlossom23 Thu 24-May-18 14:36:33

Looks a bit like my OH's eczema patches he gets on his arms occasionally. It is itchy? Eczema generally is. Try some Aveeno lotion or ask your pharmacist to recommend a cream.

Hoppinggreen Thu 24-May-18 14:36:42

Looks like psoriasis.
Although my Dad has it I didn’t until I went on a very stressful 8 week training course when I was 25.
I mostly get it on my scalp but occasionally on other areas but not badly.
It might just go away or you might need to get something from your GP, I’m nit sure if there are overv counter remedies

lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 14:38:43

No, it’s not itchy cherryblossom

steppemum Thu 24-May-18 14:39:40

It could be either, but I am also wondering about ring worm? Worth googling to see.

FrankiesKnuckle Thu 24-May-18 14:40:02

Ringworm? Is the edge quite defined?

lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 14:42:52

I’ve just Googled ringworm and it does look a lot like that, redder around the edge than in the middle. Is ringworm as horrible as it’s sounds? Hoping it is just psoriasis now!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 24-May-18 14:45:13

I vote ringworm too. Start slapping athletes foot cream on.

lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 14:47:14

Thanks everyone, I think it’s probably ringworm. Which I thought involved actual worms blush, but thankfully not!

PenguinsCantFly Thu 24-May-18 14:47:23

Don't worry if it's ringworm - really easy to treat!

I had it as a teenager on my leg randomly. GP prescribed a cream and it went away quickly.

Is be tempted to pop to a pharmacist or your GP x

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 24-May-18 14:50:06

Looks a bit like lichen planus?

www.news-medical.net/health/Lichen-planus-(LP)-Skin-Condition.aspx

I used to get it in my teens and early twenties, haven't had it for decades now. Mine would start as a red spot too, then spread and flatten, sometimes with a raised edge to the rim of the red area.

FrankiesKnuckle Thu 24-May-18 14:50:22

Don't worry about ringworm! Just make sure you treat it or it'll just grow and grow.
Also wash towels/sheets.
My daughter gets it every couple of months - especially when we visit certain friends.... 😡

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 24-May-18 14:51:08

DDs just got rid of ring worm, god knows where she got it from. Just slap on anti fungal cream until it goes. I didn't even bother with the GP, just showed it to the pharmacist and she gave (well sold) me the right cream.

Scolopendra Thu 24-May-18 15:08:43

Maybe the start of Pityriasis rosea ?

Scolopendra Thu 24-May-18 15:11:05

meant to say, it looks like the Herald patch which is the beginning, and then more appear

Baubletrouble43 Thu 24-May-18 15:24:59

Looks like a patch I had on my leg that was psoriasis. I was prescribed cream but the thing I found actually worked really well was salt water.

gamerchick Thu 24-May-18 15:28:59

Just looks like ringworm to me. Get some fungus cream

lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 16:15:35

Thanks again everyone, the pharmacist agreed it was ringworm and gave me Daktacort. But I’ve no idea how I got it seeing as I’m pretty reclusive - I live alone, so don’t share towels or bedding, no real close contact with people, no pets... Unless you can get it from trying on clothes that someone with ringworm has tried on? Or shaking someone’s hand then touching your stomach? Actually I did stroke a neighbours cat a few weeks ago so maybe it’s that.

gamerchick Thu 24-May-18 17:38:39

Could be anything. Just treat and it'll fade away.

BestIsWest Thu 24-May-18 20:45:56

Obviously a pharmacist would know better than me but as a pp said it does look a bit like Pityriasis Rosea.

DD has had it a couple of times and it starts with a ‘herald’ patch. Then a lot of smaller patches, mainly on her back in a Christmas tree pattern.

lostinjapan Thu 24-May-18 21:16:07

Hmm yeah, it does look very similar to the ‘herald patch’ bestiswest and scolopendra. Well I’m only on this ringworm treatment for 7 days, so I’ll see if it works, and if not go back to the pharmacist.

BestIsWest Thu 24-May-18 21:28:27

Yes, I guess if the ringworm treatment doesn’t work that narrows it down a bit.

WantingMuchMore Fri 25-May-18 20:12:12

Was scrolling down to ask you to google Pityriasis rosea and herald patches... have anymore appeared?

Wheretheresawill1 Fri 25-May-18 20:17:08

Pityriasis rosea

lostinjapan Fri 25-May-18 21:21:30

I’m not sure wanting. I’m scrutinising my stomach now and I’ve got a dozen tiny red spots (like pin pricks) within 2-3 inches of the main patch, but I’m not sure if I normally get them on my stomach or not. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. Even if it is pityriasis rosea I gather there’s not much you can do to treat it/stop it taking hold?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: