Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Diazepam and back trouble

(12 Posts)
JellySlice Fri 18-May-18 09:14:21

How long does it take for a 5mg dose of diazepam to affect a spasm? Is it cumulative, or will a single dose ease a mild spasm?

I was prescribed diazepam for severe back pain, and it has been an utter godsend. But I'm not sure how to use it when I have a milder spasm.

JellySlice Sun 20-May-18 19:27:57

Bump?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Mon 21-May-18 22:39:52

Are you feeling any better now?

JellySlice Mon 21-May-18 23:18:49

Right now I'm OK. I'm thinking about what to do the next time I get a back spasm. Obviously for a severe spasm I'll use the diazepam. I often get milder spasms, they might ease after a few days, or they might get worse. It would be wonderful if I could head off the spasm before it got worse. That's what I'm wondering about.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Tue 22-May-18 19:36:38

It’s tricky, isn’t it, trying to gauge whether that thing in your back will ease or seize up completely and leave you unable to do anything at all. I suppose it might depend on how the diazepam affects you as to whether you need it for a milder spasm. Do the NSAIDS help you in the early stages?

JellySlice Tue 22-May-18 21:35:57

With a milder spasm, ibuprofen taken immediately, plus the opportunity to remain mobile and also take rests, can see me back to normal within a week. Unfortunately life is rarely so accommodating! Then the episode can go on for weeks, with stiffness resulting from the pain, and often the spasm flares up again.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Wed 23-May-18 21:05:24

Has your GP prescribed the diazepam to use in case of a spasm, ie to have on hand? I suppose you won’t know if it is useful at the mild stage u less you try it but it may make you drowsy.

JellySlice Wed 23-May-18 23:20:29

5mg doesn't make me drowsy. I don't feel my alertness is affected until I've been on it for a few days, which is why I wonder whether its spasm-relieving effect is also cumulative.

swingofthings Thu 24-May-18 07:24:17

You can break 5mg into two. Valium is an addictive drug, so to be taken very carefully and most importantly, should normally prescribed only for a short period of time (I think no more than 2 weeks) unless really necessary.

snotato Thu 24-May-18 07:47:03

If I were you, id keep them the diazepam for severe back pain.
Just for the mild back spasms, try stretches/gentle exercises,heat pads,painkillers etc. I have found that saunas and jacuzzis help to loosen my back a bit also.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 25-May-18 06:08:39

Yes diazepam is addictive and it takes a few days to leave your system completely. As it breaks down in the body it still has active components which might explain the cumulative effects. I try to use milder medication early on for the milder spasms and use diazepam for a couple of days in case of severe ones. But I know it is difficult to tell if a mild spasm is going to turn into a major one.

nursy1 Fri 25-May-18 06:28:23

snitato. Is right.
For mild back pain I can usually head it off by cat and cow yoga stretches, rest, heat packs/ baths and some ibuprofen.
Nothing works like diazepam for the pain of a spasm though.
Long term, doing Pilates has helped a lot. Strong core muscles support your back more

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: