Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Thumb strain

(5 Posts)
Flicketyflack Sun 22-Apr-18 16:19:30

Anyone else had this?

Don't know how I did it! So painful sad

How long does it take to heal? Any self help tips?

Thanks

JohnHunter Sun 22-Apr-18 23:59:03

It's worth seeing your GP for a diagnosis, which can then guide treatment. Thumb "strain" isn't really a diagnosis (at least one that I recognise) and the treatment of thumb osteoarthritis differs from an ulnar collateral ligament strain which differs from de Quervain's tenosynovitis, etc. If you don't recall an injury, most overuse injuries will settle with rest and so you could try to track down a thumb spica to force you to rest the thumb for a while.

Flicketyflack Mon 23-Apr-18 12:21:51

Thanks. I rested it yesterday, putting ice on it & a compression bandage. Today it is so much better! Not completely healed but less swollen & painful. grin

Strongbeatsskinny Mon 23-Apr-18 19:03:30

Is it your right hand asking because it’s sounds like a repetitive strain maybe to much scrolling on a phone perhaps. I get it and that’s what caused mine.

Flicketyflack Mon 23-Apr-18 19:28:36

I had thought of that too but it's my left hand grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: