Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anti histamines and seizures

(14 Posts)
itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 13:48:31

I recently had a tonic-clonic seizure out of the blue, followed by lots of almost daily partial seizures.

This is obviously being investigated but as it gets warmer my eyes are getting so itchy because of hay fever.

I've not been told any different by a doctor but on my anti histamines it says they can lower your seizure threshold - is it still safe to take these?

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 20-Apr-18 13:51:42

Are you under a neurologist? Have you asked the neurologist about the particular antihistamine you want to take?

itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 13:53:05

I have recently been referred a neurologist but I didn't even think to ask about the antihistamines as it only bothers me when it gets warmer :/

So confusing

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 20-Apr-18 14:02:41

I wouldn't take them without double checking with the neurologist. Do you have a number for a secretary or even just for the clinic?

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 20-Apr-18 14:03:01

The neurologist's secretary, I mean

itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 14:04:46

I don't actually have any contact details yet as they said they would send them out soon.

I will try phoning my GP and ask his expertise though - until then I'll put a cold flannel on my eyes I reckon grin

Thank you xx

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 20-Apr-18 14:09:48

Ah that's annoying. Hopefully your GP will be able to help. Hope you get an answer soon!

greathat Fri 20-Apr-18 14:11:18

Try asking your pharmacist? Mine are great for advice on medication

LemonysSnicket Fri 20-Apr-18 14:13:34

Maybe epilepsy .... it can present very oddly.

itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 14:19:57

Didn't think of pharmacist actually - thank you will do that!

I'm worried about epilepsy. They're reluctant to put me on anti seizure medication but I'd prefer to be for peace of mind confused

itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 15:08:33

Pharmacist wasn't sure about this type, but waiting on a call back from GP. Thanks all

Skiiltan Fri 20-Apr-18 17:07:43

If you're waiting to see a neurologist about seizures I think a pharmacist might recommend using loratidine or fexofenadine instead of cetirizine: epilepsy is listed as a caution for cetirizine but not for the other two. However, I can't find evidence of any difference among them in the frequency of patients reporting seizures as an adverse effect, so it might be better to ask the neurologist if you can wait until then.

itchyeyess Fri 20-Apr-18 17:41:01

@Skiiltan thank you so much! My GP recommended taking Loratadine too so you were right smile

itchyeyess Sat 21-Apr-18 20:38:44

Turns out it was not a good idea and although I didn't HAVE another seizure, I felt the same way again which lasted until late sad

Felt the same way this morning too. Maybe just coincidence but I hate this - it's no life. I'm scared to go anywhere

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: