Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Food gone down wrong way

(7 Posts)
Bichon22 Tue 20-Mar-18 18:40:58

Has anyone ever swallowed food down wrong way and been left feeling they didn’t cough it all up? (In this case a bit of carrot!) I’ve been left with a kind of lump in my throat feeling and worried the food is now stuck in trachea/lung? Did this happen to anyone else? What did you do? Did it just resolve itself?

GlassHeart1 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:18:09

Happened to me a few years ago with a small chunk of cabbage stalk. I did go down the route of pulmonoscopy a few days later, but they didn't find it, may have dropped too far in and they only really can check for obstructions affecting breathing. Apparently things tend to fall more to the left bronchi, that's how it felt to me too.

In the end I was told I might get an infection in the lung, thankfully I didn't.

Also, once past the throat, a cough would be unlikely to bring it up.

The camera down wasn't very pleasant (I chose to watch on the screen too), I felt scratched in my throat/bronchi for ages.

Hard to say what's better, i suppose if it affects your breathing in any way then u would need to investigate firther. Maybe body eventually rots and reabsorbs things like that, I am no expert though.

Bichon22 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:46:21

Thank you @glassheart1. It’s not affecting breathing at all. What made you have the pulmonoscopy? Feeling of discomfort, or was it affecting your breathing?

Evizza Tue 20-Mar-18 22:56:37

I accidentally 'inhaled' a Smartie a few years back. I was coughing and sputtering for ages after and didn't feel it coming back up. I was worried about it as I felt like I could feel it falling into the bottom of my lung, but my doctor assured me that the majority of things inhaled are almost immediately coughed back out.... sometimes going straight down to the stomach instead of back up through the mouth, thus going unnoticed. I needed a CT scan for something completely different a while later and it wasn't there so that must have happened to me.

If you have any breathing issues or pain then definitely get checked out but the lump in throat is probably related to the anxiety of the situation rather than being anything stuck smile

Bichon22 Wed 21-Mar-18 09:03:50

Thanks @evizza. Your last comment made me laugh :-) funnily enough last night I was sick and it seems to have all cleared but thanks for taking trouble to message :-)

GlassHeart1 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:05:32

Glad all sorted Bichon!

I didn't have any breathing problems, but I clearly felt it falling in and although tried coughing it out at the time, nothing came up.

LemonysSnicket Wed 21-Mar-18 20:58:59

I’ve had it a lot tbh, I eat like lightning so am always half choking ( ladylike I know). Most things that cause you to cough have been coughed up, you generally get that spotty something stuck feeling. I wouldn’t worry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: