Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Shingles!

(6 Posts)
MumofBean Tue 13-Mar-18 20:27:06

I've got awful shingles! I was given acyclovir medication to take. Today I've got another 4 small patches that have appeared. I am so sore. I have only been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol. I'm on day 5 now. I had hoped by now I'd be improving but it seems to be getting worse with new patches still appearing!

Any idea of what else I can take to help? I've been using calamine cream, oatmeal baths, ibuprofen/paracetamol and the anti-viral.

It's down my stomach, back and side. My hips (bones/muscles) feel so sore tonight as does my back. Feeling miserable so any advice would be appreciated.

dementedpixie Tue 13-Mar-18 20:47:21

I don't think ibuprofen should be taken with shingles. It's contraindicated with chicken pox as it can cause adverse skin reactions

fairiesandelves Tue 13-Mar-18 21:55:52

Try a lysine supplement for health food shop. Avoid food with an amino acid called arginine hope you feel better x

fairiesandelves Tue 13-Mar-18 21:57:33

And eat .....Foods high in B-vitamins — The nervous system is under attack by the shingles virus; therefore if possible it's important to include foods high in B-vitamins such as grass-fed beef, cultured dairy, eggs, organic chicken and wild-caught fish.

retirednow Tue 13-Mar-18 22:01:21

Speak to your doctor for some decent pain killers,that help,nerve pain, poor you, it is miserable. Some people i know have also been given local anaesthetic patches.

moreismore Tue 13-Mar-18 22:05:35

You poor thing, the joint pain will be due to the virus... it doesn’t sound like you’re responding to the anti virals-you could double check the dose with your GP? I’ve been on quite varied doses in the past. Pain relief wise have you been offered any topical anaesthetics like lidocaine? You can get it as a cream over the counter but you’ll Obvs get a larger quantity for less money on prescription. And I agree stronger painkillers from gp would help also. Until then you could try co-codamol? Best to chat to a pharmacist really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: