Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Mini pill

(9 Posts)
Sandrat Tue 13-Mar-18 10:29:21

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me have they had a good experience going onto the mini pill ? I suffer really bad pms taking a period every 2 - 3 weeks so just a constant cycle of feeling angry or miserable. After reading some horror stories about this pill iv been terrified to take it in case it makes me worse. Doc says It could be the cure I need but I just don't know what to do. Any stories of this relieving pms would be much appreciated, I'm desperate for something to help me .

dirtybadger Tue 13-Mar-18 19:46:53

I have an implant- so progesterone only. When my implant was nearing its removal date (i.e. lower levels of progesterone), I developed very bad PMS. Suicidal, etc. As soon as my new one was in, this improved dramatically. Whilst this isnt evidence that a minipill with solve your problems, it is my anecdotal evidence that increasing my levels of progesterone helped me.

Sandrat Tue 13-Mar-18 21:20:21

That's exactly the sort of thing I need to hear right now thank you

StringandGlitter Tue 13-Mar-18 21:26:45

I’ve been on minipill for 4 months because same as you period every 3 weeks was pushing me off!

First 2 weeks ok, then I had a heavier than usual period for a week, next two weeks ok, then I forgot to take it on a couple of days and had light spotting but not actual period for 3 weeks, then it all settled down.

I’m thinking about getting progesterone coil as sometimes forget to take it. I went to doctor to ask about coil to stop periods and she suggested mini pill to see how so get on with hormones as you can stop taking it easier than getting coil removed.

StringandGlitter Tue 13-Mar-18 21:27:55

Pushing me off = pissing me off

StringandGlitter Tue 13-Mar-18 21:30:47

Meant to say I was worried as I reacted badly to progesterone treatment during IVF (really bad skin rashes), but dr said hormone levels are very different.

Also it’s nice not to go on a hormonal eating rampage every 3 weeks.

NymeriaStark Tue 13-Mar-18 21:32:50

I’ve been on the mini-pill since I had DD as it’s compatible with breastfeeding and was worried as I’d heard bad things about the pill I’m on (Cerelle). I’ve had absolutely zero side effects whatsoever. I have also not had a period in two years. Depends whether you see that as a benefit or not.

Jassmells Tue 13-Mar-18 22:25:52

Great for me, had problems with implant and they wouldn't let me go on any pills that previously suited me due to change in their risk ratings. Had really heavy periods and now none.

Sandrat Wed 14-Mar-18 12:21:49

This is all great ! yous have put my mind a bit more at ease thanks. I just decided to bit the bullet and took my first one today. Hopefully it will be the answer to my prayers xxx smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now