Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I thought it was a pill

(13 Posts)
froggiemoggie Mon 12-Mar-18 23:25:44

So I have been bleeding from my bottom for a while and on Wednesday I have to go and have a camera up there. I have been told I have to take an Enema an hour before.

I thought it was a pill - I have just googled and it's something you put up your bum? Water??

I am really scared about all of this. Including the reason I am bleeding.

Has anyone else been through this?

meme70 Tue 13-Mar-18 00:09:05

I ah e had an enema when I had my daughter it doesn’t hurt it’s a largish tablet thing it’s just inserted it’s a common thing people can do it themselves or Medicals do it

Bleeding can be torn skin hemrods constipation don’t goigke to much it always = bad bad bad

I’ve had bleeding from there but it was from constipation and bright red just for a few minutes

How heavy is it
Is it’s bright or dark

Any stomach pelvis pains

Your getting testers so well done best you reassured yourself
💕

froggiemoggie Tue 13-Mar-18 20:38:26

Thank you meme. Blood is bright red. No pain really. Let's hope I get some answers tomorrow xxx

brownelephant Tue 13-Mar-18 20:43:09

do you not do a clearout beforehand?
I had a boring white diet for a couple of days followed by taking a strong laxative. no enema.

Draylon Tue 13-Mar-18 21:53:47

Hope you're OK. IMO a quick suppository to clear out the lowest part of your bowel, sigmoid and rectum, is far better than days of tablets that affect your whole alimentary tract. Was the issue putting the tab in? Remember, most poohs are way bigger than the small suppository!

PositivelyPERF Tue 13-Mar-18 21:57:23

Don’t worry, it’s nowhere near as bad as it sounds. It works better if you can hold it (a bit like trying not to poo) for up to 20 mins. If it’s any consolation you’ll feel well cleared out afterwards. 😬

Oldwestaction Tue 13-Mar-18 22:03:40

The enema is a small bottle of fluid. It has a thin nozzle. They'll ask you to lie on your left hand side and insert the nozzle & squeeze the liquid in.
They'll then leave the room (which has a toilet in.) After about 5 mins you'll get the urge to go. Ring the bell once your done.
Sounds like a sigmoidoscopy as if it were a colonoscopy there's different bowel prep.
The procedure it's self isn't painful but the air they insert can be (think painful trapped wind.) Try breathe deeply and if they offer gas and air take it!
Has piles/fissures already been ruled out for you?

PositivelyPERF Tue 13-Mar-18 22:09:59

Please make sure you relax and don’t rush away from the toilet. remembering the time I thought the enema hadn’t worked, after a hysterectomy, but half way back to bed, I had to turn, then waddle like a demented penguin back to the toilet, while visitors looked bemused as the patients took a fit of the giggles 😬

froggiemoggie Tue 13-Mar-18 23:10:48

It was a quick appointment so no diet prep apart from low fibre diet today. I have to do the enema an hour before my appointment- I just took it out the box and saw how much liquid you have to put in sad

froggiemoggie Tue 13-Mar-18 23:11:37

At home I mean - I do the enema at home and then go to the appointment for the camera bit

froggiemoggie Tue 13-Mar-18 23:12:44

My GP looked up my bum already and no sign of anything - hence the appointment tomorrow. I also had blood tests today.

FrankiesKnuckle Tue 13-Mar-18 23:17:26

I've got a flexi sigmoidoscopy next week, do let me know how it goes (no joke intended).

Oldwestaction Wed 14-Mar-18 07:51:21

Try not to worry about the enema. Will prob be more relaxed doing it at home. Put a bit of Vaseline on the end of the nozzle. Lie on your left with your knees up and relax your body as much as poss.
I had similar a few years ago with bleeding from there. It got worse, to the point I was rushing to pass blood up to 5 times a day.
Ended up been fast tracked for a colonoscopy. They were able to diagnose ulcerative colitis straight away from that.
Good luck, hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: