Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How long does the tiredness last??

(5 Posts)
GlomOfNit Mon 12-Mar-18 21:21:03

Apologies for what seems like a very lame post, given some other posts on here!

I got what I assume was a mild flu strain back on the 2nd march, it floored me with shivers and sweats, whole body aches, headache, a horrible amount of brownish gunk in my lungs (it went straight for my chest) and the most knackering fatigue I've had since forever. DH says I wasn't hot hmm (our thermometer was broken, though we've since bought another) but the shivers and shakes were very real.

It ran its course within about a week (DS1 got it, at least I assume it's the same thing, because it's a bit different with him, and he WAS hot - over 40) and I'm still in bed. confused I mean, I can get up and walk about, I even went out for a brief coffee on Mother's Day, but if I go outside, or attempt to be upright and functioning in the house for more than a couple of hours, it completely wipes me out and I go back to bed. I'm very lucky in that I'm a SAHM, and DH is on strike (lecturer) so although we're going to be skint, he's been around to look after me/get the DC to school etc.

I just haven't experienced post-viral fatigue like this. Is this just what happens as you get older? (44) I'm sitting on the sofa and feel dizzy sitting still. I spent most of today in bed dozing and will head back up there after some supper.

brownelephant Mon 12-Mar-18 21:24:24

flu can take a while.
lots of rest
lots of fluids

hope you feel better soon

GlomOfNit Mon 12-Mar-18 22:00:58

Thanks Brown. I'm not even sure it was flu, except that I've never had a cold virus that made me feel as bad! Not sure you can have flu without a steaming high temperature but maybe it takes people in different ways.

Selmom Mon 12-Mar-18 22:57:21

There is a new virus strain going around all over europe. keep drying all sweat and change your shirt if you have to to stay dry. Take a painkiller to keep fever down, and drink A LOT OF WATER.

don't strain yourself until you are better, as this won't get better fast. I know many people that went through it, including myself.

Dontsayyouloveme Tue 13-Mar-18 16:51:45

Last time I had post viral fatigue after a bout of proper flu, not just a bad cold, it lasted about four weeks. You need to slowly build your strength back up, don’t go mad, take it slow. It’s bloody awful though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: