Talk

Advanced search

Chronic Nausea, anyone advise?

(12 Posts)
CollyWombles Mon 12-Mar-18 20:49:04

I have a doctors appointment but it's not until mid April, I'm creating all sorts of causes in my mind so thought I would see if anyone has experienced this.

From the moment I wake up, I feel nausea. Sometimes it's mild and bearable, other times it's bad enough to make me start retching though I never actually vomit. I've been like this for 2 to 3 years. Maybe longer. To be honest I'm so used to it, it's only a particularly bad patch that it bothers me.

This is one of those bad patches. The last theee days I have felt dreadful. Constant acid feeling down my throat (not painful just yuck) my stomach feels horrible and I'm passing a lot more wind though bowel movements are normal.

I've also been getting dizzy for a few moments when standing up.

Dr Google tells me it could be anything including brain tumour which scares me as I lost my great aunt to a brain tumour last year.

I do have Gilbert's disease which doctors say is symptomless and harmless.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms at all? What did it turn out to be?

lovechocolate123 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:19:07

I started having the same symptoms. Acid reflux and awful nausea. Lost weight because I just couldn’t eat. I had an endoscopy which showed gastritis. Had to take acid reducing tablets for months. The acid reflux definitely improved and I now don’t feel nauseous all the time. However, I still get the nausea but it’s more bearable. Have you had an endoscopy?

CollyWombles Mon 12-Mar-18 21:25:00

I've had nothing because honestly, I just buried my head in the sand and got on with it. I work full time and have 4dc so never seemed to make time to see a doctor.

Now, with this bad phase at the moment, I've cracked and made the appointment.

lovechocolate123 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:55:46

I find that I feel more nauseous half way through my cycle. Possibly, during ovulation. Do you feel nauseous all the time? Or certain times during the month? I do find when I feel nauseous taking some gaviscon double action helps

KarmaStar Mon 12-Mar-18 21:57:43

Stematil is brilliant but you need a prescription from your dr.Really works.hope you feel better soon flowers

CollyWombles Mon 12-Mar-18 22:01:29

I do feel more nauseous on the second half of my cycle. Not every month but most months. I have PMDD so it's rough the second half anyways.

I'm considering maybe asking them to test me for h pylori. My step mother was diagnosed with it some years ago, so I very well may have contracted it from her. The symptoms kind of fit and h pylori can lead to gastritis.

I don't know, I'm just struggling not to get too down over it, I'm so fed up of hearing myself say I don't feel well! I've been healthy up until 4 years ago when I walked about with pneumonia for 5 months and didn't even realise I was ill.

This nausea feeling is just horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Almost wish I would vomit, but I never do.

Lifeaback Mon 12-Mar-18 22:07:55

Have you read anything online about POTS? (Postural orthostatic tachycardic syndrome) the dizziness makes me think there's maybe a possibility it could be that?

I hope the doctors goes well and you get to the bottom of whatever is causing it, nausea can be absolutley debilitating flowers

embazzled Mon 12-Mar-18 22:09:30

Have you tried taking ranitidine? You can buy it in the shops

Squashpocket Mon 12-Mar-18 22:19:24

thanks chronic nausea is just horrible. Turned out to be stress related for me, which was very weird because I didn't feel stressed mentally, but it was somehow finding an outlet through my stomach. Is there anyway it could be that for you?

CollyWombles Mon 12-Mar-18 23:28:39

Well I'm generally under stress and these past two years have been very stressful (loss of grandparents a year apart, ExH convicted of assaulting dc, reconciled with DH after a two year separation) which accumulated until I had my second severe depressive episode. However I'm in a much better place now and on 50mg of sertraline for the past 7 months.

Work has been stressful and today was going to be the most stressful, the nausea was awful today. I effectively demoted myself today from manager to part time sales assistant, I felt I needed to do so because of my lack of motivation with this nausea which was having a knock on effect with my staff.

Also an average of 4-5 hours sleep a night for some months now, I've never been a good sleeper but I've felt particularly exhausted.

I suppose there is every chance it could be stress. Usually when I am suffering from stress, I shed weight like no tomorrow, but if anything I've put in a bit.

I feel better though, knowing other people have had similar or the same.

I haven't taken any antacids or other meds, I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to taking anything, it took a good while for my doctor and family to get me on sertraline.

SilverHairedCat Tue 13-Mar-18 08:58:54

Go see the pharmacist while you're waiting for the doctors appointment.

You could try out two things - anti nausea pills like Buccastem, and esomeprazole which would be good if you did have gastritis or gastric reflux.

Your going to need to try something, your can't continue like this.

Squashpocket Tue 13-Mar-18 12:07:50

Goodness, you've really been through it recently. If it is stress related you can still treat the symptoms way you would with acid reflux or gastritis until you can get to see a dr and get some proper advice. The things that worked for me were

Absolutely no alcohol, coffee or chocolate
Regular light meals and cutting down on bread
Omeprazole 20mg 1 x per day (can buy this over the counter)
Gaviscon after every meal/as required
Try to take a few minutes to relax at some point during the day (hard I know!)
Prioritise sleep if you can - broken sleep was a killer for me

Hope you're feeling better soon and you get what you need from the doc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: