Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Very bad spider veins pics included

(13 Posts)
PandaEyes2 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:34:36

I'm nearly 26 and have had enough now. For as long as I can remember I've had these horrible unsightly veins the whole way down both legs. Tonight after an 8 hour shift at work, my whole legs feel dead and tingly and I'm wondering if it's to do with these veins. I know on the back of my legs I have slight varicose veins. With summer approaching again I know I won't be able to wear pretty summer dresses as I can't bear to get my legs out because how awful they look. I look like I have the legs of an 80 year old lady.

Is this a doctor appointment worthy? And can anything actually be done for them? Pics attached (hopefully) I'll just add the pictures don't quite show them as bad as they are in the flesh but basically this is my legs from top to bottom just covered in them.

PippyRose Sun 11-Mar-18 16:16:23

I have these but mostly on my lower legs. I looked into it once and they can be removed by injecting something into each one. I remember it being expensive though. Let us know when you find out more.

I don't think yours are that bad though. I've seen much worse at the local swimming baths that's for sure.

missyB1 Sun 11-Mar-18 16:20:51

Nothing on the NHS unfortunately. You can get injections done privately but I’m fairly sure they come back so not sure it’s worth the money. I’ve had them pretty much all my adult life (as well as varicose veins). They bothered me when I was your age but now I’m in my 40s I don’t even think about them anymore.

PippyRose Sun 11-Mar-18 16:21:27

I think most women have them but they tend to show up more on pale skin (unfortunately).

PippyRose Sun 11-Mar-18 16:22:15

I just don't get my legs out.

TomFun Sun 11-Mar-18 16:27:43

I have them. My mum had them as well. They bother me, too and I wish I had the money to get them corrected.

Powerpuffwoman Sun 11-Mar-18 16:34:17

I feel your pain. I was the same age when I went to the gp about mine. They made me feel quite stupid. Obviously it's not a life threatening illness but I didn't know why I had them so bad at a young age, so I was concerned.

After the gp visit I researched and spent thousands on a couple of different treatments for varicose and spider veins. The sclerotherapy actually gave me a whole bunch of new spider veins in the same area. I wasted thousands and regretted it to be truly honest, I was no better off. New ones replaced the old ones, and old ones still remained. But this isn't the case for everyone. Some have good results. (I wore my compression stockings religiously too!) I think I'm probably a unique case tbh.

I'm 32 now and they are actually slightly better (less angry looking) since I no longer work a job where I'm constantly on my feet, and I found a cream that helped keep them calm but it only works whilst using it, it's not a permanent effect. I will search for it after I post this.

I notice they are worse at certain times of the month too, something to do with estrogen I believe.

I feel your pain. It's awful to have them at such a young age.

Powerpuffwoman Sun 11-Mar-18 16:43:36

This is the cream. It's really nice and pleasant to apply. They do good offers occasionally.

For what it's worth, you actually have phenomenal legs in spite of the veins.

Summer clothes shopping is a nightmare. Trying to cover up but keep cool at the same time. 🙄

PandaEyes2 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:09:17

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply. I think I'll have to stick to my usual summer attire (when and if summer actually arrives lol)

MissTulipan Tue 13-Mar-18 09:44:56

I have these too and I find self tan helps as they look less obvious. I never tan naturally as I like to protect my skin with high factor lotions. You can get laser treatment too which I hope to get one day. I can understand you being young that these would bother you.

Ridingthegravytrain Tue 13-Mar-18 09:54:13

My friend has these. Had them injected. It was was really really painful and fairly expensive and the results weren’t worth the pain. She didn’t bother having it done again

mayhew Thu 15-Mar-18 13:32:34

Fake tan in summer!

laddylonglocks Thu 15-Mar-18 13:39:13

Please don't let them stop you getting your legs out. If you feel really self conscious then maybe a bit of self tan or body makeup?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now