Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DCIS calcium in breast

(13 Posts)
MelonKim Sat 10-Mar-18 11:53:56

Hi all. I’m awIting a biopsy result. What happened with you?

KettleOn919 Sat 10-Mar-18 12:38:20

Hi Melon

Most calcifications turn out not to be DCIS. I hope that's the case for you, but If the biopsy does back positive, don't panic! DCIS is the very earliest stage of cancer, in fact it's usually referred to as stage 0 because it's pre-invasive. That makes it very treatable.

I had DCIS in 2004. It's usually treated by surgery to remove the area and then a course of radiotherapy. Unfortunately I had several areas scattered throughout the breast, so I had a mastectomy. That's quite rare though... very few people need such drastic surgery. I've had no trouble since then (well, I did have a bit of trouble with the recon... but that's another story.)

It's just occurred to me that treatments might have moved on a bit since my diagnosis. It was quite a long time ago now!

MelonKim Sat 10-Mar-18 12:55:00

Oh you’re so so sweet. I’ve suddenly lurched into this thing from a random mammogram. No lump nothing.
Results Tuesday. They said it was small and hard to get to. Only one. Thank god.

MelonKim Sat 10-Mar-18 12:55:29

(They got it out at the biopsy!)

mollpop Sun 11-Mar-18 07:26:10

Hi Melon

I had high grade DCIS a few years back, and because it was widespread within my breast, I had a mastectomy and reconstruction (which is fabulous, the reconstructed breast actually looks better than the other one 🙂).

As Kettle says, please don't panic. It's highly treatable. I'll be thinking of you and sending you hugs 🤗🤗

MelonKim Sun 11-Mar-18 07:27:07

Thank you. Did you know at the time it was high grade? At the initial appointment

mollpop Sun 11-Mar-18 07:37:42

Hi.
They initially did a biopsy, I went back the following day for the results and at that stage they told me it was high grade. I had a massive lump though which was growing quite quickly, and I think it's quite unusual to need a mastectomy for DCIS. In fact, it wasn't a total mastectomy, they removed about 60% of my breast and I had a reconstruction and six weeks of radiotherapy.

MelonKim Sun 11-Mar-18 07:57:49

Ah gosh poor you. I couldn’t even feel anything. It’s tiny which gives me hope

mollpop Sun 11-Mar-18 08:59:10

I'm sure it'll be fine. DCIS is really treatable. Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you x

KettleOn919 Sun 11-Mar-18 09:19:33

Mine was intermediate grade, and like mollpop I had symptoms; not a lump in my case but a discharge. It took me four years to get diagnosed, and in that time the DCIS had wandered all through my ducts but still hadn't become invasive.

Melon, it looks like you are at a far, far earlier stage than me or mollpop (if it is indeed DCIS). You had no symptoms at all, and only one small spot was discovered. I'd say things are sounding pretty good!

Please let us know how you get on.

MelonKim Sun 11-Mar-18 09:49:55

oh you both are so kind. I am a little weepy from it

MelonKim Tue 13-Mar-18 11:20:27

No cancerous cells in the biopsy but they’re taking a bigger wodge out jn a couple of weeks to double check. So that’s cool

KettleOn919 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:44:56

That's really good news, Melon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: