Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had ciprofloxacin for uti?

(11 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 10-Mar-18 08:36:50

I'm on day 3 of a 5 day course but my symptoms don't seem to be improving much. Initially had a 3 day course of trimethoptrin a few weeks ago which failed to work.

My symptoms are urethera pain, urine frequency and just feeling generally crap. No flank pain, which is good, except I have a history of kidney stones and pylonephritis with minimal symptoms. Last time I ended up with sepsis, so I'm a bit panicky now about it getting out of hand.

Shouldn't I be getting better by now or does the antibiotic need a few more days?

DeathMetalMum Sat 10-Mar-18 08:44:53

I'd expect an improvement by now, maybe see if you can get an out of hours appointment/call 111.

BusterGonad Sun 11-Mar-18 15:00:35

Please read the sheet that comes with Cipro it can be an awful drug!

FaithEverPresent Sun 11-Mar-18 15:02:41

You wouldn’t necessarily be completely cured but I would expect you to see some improvement by now. DH has chronic issues and has taken it several times, he sees an improvement within 48 hours. I would try and get seen again tomorrow.

Jellyjumpers Mon 12-Mar-18 21:01:48

I would expect to get better within 72 hours. How are you feeling now?

vitaminC Mon 12-Mar-18 21:04:30

Do you have the urine test results back yet? They should indicate whether the antibiotic prescribed is effective on the germ(s) identified. If not, you need to go back to your GP for a new prescription.

WoodliceCollection Tue 13-Mar-18 15:42:42

I took it for kidney infection about 18mo ago. It was a massive relief that it worked as previous antibiotics didn't, so I'm not impressed by people scaremongering about it. However, you should have had urine culture to see if the infection is resistant to any and if not, or if it's not getting better by now, probably best to go back to GP (and ask what lab said about resistance- the infection I had was resistant to all but 2 antibiotics). Get well soon!

HughLauriesStubble Tue 13-Mar-18 23:47:54

Thanks everyone. I went back to my gp in the end and he took me off it. Ended up going to hospital and turns out it's another kidney stone causing the pain, but thankfully the infection isn't too bad. I've been put on a prophylactic dose of trimethoptrin until I can get a cystoscopy done to see what's causing the infection.

BusterGonad Wed 14-Mar-18 22:07:14

Woodlice I'm not scaremongering, I've had Cipro myself and with the other tablet I was on it was hideous, I was basically a fucking wreck for the week. Cipro is actually black boxed in the US as it's so risky to take.

shewolfmum Wed 14-Mar-18 22:21:59

Yes i have heard how awful it is too in face the FDA recommends reserving these antibiotics for serious bacterial infections, such as anthrax, plague and bacterial pneumonia!

BusterGonad Wed 14-Mar-18 22:25:55

Thank you She, I just felt that the op should know to be careful, I.e do not excessively excercise etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: