Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Has anyone used Norethisterone for heavy continuous bleeding

(20 Posts)
dahliaaa Fri 09-Mar-18 12:49:48

I saw my gp for very heavy flooding which had lasted 3 weeks (3 weeks ago.) It came after no period due 84 days.

I've been referred for a scan but in meantime Dr gave me a prescription for Norethisterone to help stop the flooding and I'm taking liquid iron.

The flooding tailed off on its own and bleeding became much lighter (although still had this or dark discharge every day so I didn't take the medication but now I've started bleeding fully again and wondering if I should take the Norethisterone now instead.

The bleeding isn't as heavy as the flooding I had originally but it's now been 6 months of something or other. (Scan should come through in next couple of weeks.)

The prescription is for 5mg 3 times a day for 7 days.

dahliaaa Sat 10-Mar-18 12:10:51

Purplefrogshoes Sat 10-Mar-18 22:26:46

I was prescribed it after miscarriage. I had a d&c but I still had heavy bleeding on and off for 10 weeks, the medication stopped the bleeding and seemed to reset my cycle

Butterandsugar Sat 10-Mar-18 22:29:01

I've taken it for heavy continuous bleeding. It stopped the bleeding after a day or two and gave my gp a chance to examine me properly

FinallyFree123456789 Sat 10-Mar-18 22:36:24

I have had this a few times - my implant has started to loose its strength and they prescribe me this until I can get it changed - if the bleeding has come back take it until the bleeding completely stops ... then call the gp and ask how to reduce - mine said to reduce it to 1 twice a day until my next period was due

WeaselsRising Sat 10-Mar-18 22:51:57

I started having periods almost non stop and got prescribed Norethisterone for a few months to sort it out.

dahliaaa Sun 11-Mar-18 00:13:55

Thanks so much for the replies. Interesting to see that some of you needed to take it longer.

dahliaaa Sun 11-Mar-18 18:05:15

Bleeding even heavier this morning so have started the tablets today. Fingers crossed they help.

dahliaaa Sun 11-Mar-18 19:54:34

Forgot to add - since starting the tablets had flooding and clots again :-(
I'm assuming this is normal with the Norethisterone and will settle.

seasidesaltair Mon 12-Mar-18 15:40:46

I had bleeding so heavy I couldn't walk and couldn't go to work so got put on norethisterone. Been on it for 11 years and not had a period in that time.

I see the gyno doctor for check ups once a year and she is happy for me to continue.

I am very overweight so hopefully once I sort that I can be brave enough to try having another period. Although at 37 and having made the choice to not have kids I'd be happy to never have another again. I don't need periods!

dahliaaa Mon 12-Mar-18 20:48:03

Thank you for replying seaside.

I've mentioned this on another thread but because DH has an inoperable cancer I am very anxious about 7 weeks of bleeding and what the scan will show (I'm anxious anyway with everything that's going on so this has just added to that.)

I took 3 tablets yesterday and 3 today and the bleeding has started to reduce now. (I'm assuming after the 7 days of tablets I'll then have a breakthrough bleed after a few days.)

BG2015 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:51:26

I took Northisterone for nearly a year as I had very heavy, prolonged bleeding.

I had fibroids and an enlarged, bulky uterus. I had a hysterectomy in June last year.

I'm 49.

dahliaaa Mon 12-Mar-18 23:06:01

Did you take it for a few days every month BG (I've just got a few days worth at the moment.)

Do you mind if I ask how long your periods were - and also if you had any pain (and why in the end you went for the hysterectomy.)

This is all very new to me. (I had v painful periods when I was younger but at the moment I don't tend to get pain - just the continuous bleeding and the flooding etc.)

seasidesaltair Tue 13-Mar-18 11:49:03

For what it's worth I never had painful periods just they got very heavy as I got into my mid-late twenties.

Raven88 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:57:37

I was on it after a 4 week bleed and it was a life saver. After I came off it I did flood repeatedly for about 3 days I slightly regretted taking it but after that I felt fine. I would take it again if a similar thing happened.

dahliaaa Tue 13-Mar-18 14:50:41

Thank you for the added info everyone - Raven did the flooding start a few days after stopping it ? (And did you then just wait it out rather than take more medication ?)

BG2015 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:46:17

I took it everyday - once it was in my system I managed to take it just twice. I had a Mirena coil in that worked for 16 months and then the fibroids took over.

I had clots, heavy bleeding and cramping. I had an endometrial ablation in Sept 16 it worked for about 5 weeks then the bleeding started again. My consultant then suggested a hysterectomy. That was in early Feb 2017.

I was so sick of the bleeding by then I didn't think twice. Best thing I ever did. I bled constantly- it didn't ever stop.

BG2015 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:47:12

When I say twice, I mean twice a day instead of 3 times a day. It just stretched it out a bit.

seasidesaltair Tue 13-Mar-18 23:15:42

Yeah I know only take two a day and it's still just as effective

dahliaaa Wed 14-Mar-18 20:25:36

Thank you so much for the extra info.
Sorry you went through such a rough time with but it's actually reassured me a bit.

I'm quite anxious generally at the moment because my lovely DH has a life limiting illness and I'm a bit obsessed about being around for our teenagers.

When I went to GP to ask for some tranexamic acid to stop the flooding and continuous bleeding I expected her to say 'oh it's just perimenopause.'

But instead she said she couldn't give me T acid until we know from a scan what's going on and to rule out any nasties. Brilliant to have such a switched on GP - but just freaked me out a bit.

So in a completely selfish way (!) it's good to hear that other have had similar experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now