Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Upset stomach from NSAID - Mefenamic Acid

(16 Posts)
TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 20:40:25

Anyone got any ideas on how I can ease the hideous nausea caused by mefenamic acid? I’ve stopped taking it now the penny has dropped but I have been sick and have diahorrea. The same thing happened last time I took it but I thought it was a virus/something i ate. Obviously not.

I took 500mg at 9am and have felt sick all day and have just been sick. Is there anything I can take that will ease the symptoms? Or have I got to wait it out?

FissionChips Sat 17-Feb-18 20:46:40

Pepto bismal will probably help a little.

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 20:50:18

I had thought that but I haven’t got any.

Urghhh this is worse than the pain the bloody pills were trying to prevent hmm

FissionChips Sat 17-Feb-18 20:51:10

Oh dear! flowers I do hope you feel better soon.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 17-Feb-18 20:54:31

Did is ill in bed today. She was also ill last month. She takes it not for the pain but for the awful heavy (can’t last an hour) periods.

She’s been on it for 4 years but has only recently been having side effects.

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 20:57:31

I took it for one month without any issues. Not sure it helped the pain much but it’s hard to tell sometimes. But it’s definitely made me ill this month as my symptoms are following the same pattern each time Ive take it. I won’t be taking it again that’s for certain!

MountainDweller Sat 17-Feb-18 20:58:07

Not much help for today but your doctor can prescribe esomeprazole to protect the stomach from the mefenamic acid. You take in the morning on an empty stomach and it lasts all day. I think you can buy it over the counter too but it's more useful when used preventatively.

Lindah1 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:00:14

Never ever take it on an empty stomach. I think there's something on the leaflet about avoiding antacids with it so be careful

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 21:00:36

I already take omeprazole actually - gp prescribed it at the same time.

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 21:01:34

And I took it with two massive hunks of granary toast so by no means an empty stomach.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 17-Feb-18 21:02:13

Do you think that’s something I should ask about for dd then as she’s on it long term? She never takes it on an empty stomach.

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 21:06:45

Definitely ask about it if she’s started having stomach issues with it.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 17-Feb-18 21:10:42

I’m not sure if it’s the medication or the period itself as before she started to take it she used to flood, be sick & faint regularly.

Janleverton Sat 17-Feb-18 21:15:59

I was hideously sick - thought I had a bug - 2 months in a row on transexamic acid. Doctor prescribed mefanamic acid instead and the same happened, despite having taken it perfectly happily when in teens for heavy periods, 20 years earlier. Like I’d developed a reaction post kids.

Anyway - long story short, I found I just had to ride it out and never take it again I’m afraid.

TieDyedBumhole Sat 17-Feb-18 21:26:47

Bottle of remaining pills is already in the bin.

Actually I took it as a teenager too and had no problems. I’d forgotten that blush

lljkk Sat 17-Feb-18 22:20:31

I had to take it on empty stomach (I puked it up if I took it with food). Lucked out it never made me feel bad. I only ever took one big dose, though, right when my period started. I didn't (take it as directed) take it otherwise. No need. My periods always irregular so I couldn't take it before I started.

I wonder if they'll develop patches, one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now