Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Norethisterone - Period delay for teen

(4 Posts)
Pringlemunchers Wed 14-Feb-18 16:43:24

Hi. Does anyone know if Norethisterone would be suitable for my teen dd? She has just started her period , ( has had about three so far, so has not fallen in to a regular pattern yet. I believe it needs to be taken a few days before? We are going away on holiday in a couple of months , so thinking about then? Thanks

NoMoreUsernames Wed 14-Feb-18 16:49:20

I've taken it once, never again. I had severe PMT the entire time I took it and bled heavily for a month afterwards. Unless her periods are very heavy I wouldn't bother, it's not without it's side effects. Saying that plenty people take it with no problems but it wasn't for me.

sadie9 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:44:54

Could she not just use tampons? It would seem the safer option than messing about with the hormones. If she doesn't have a regular pattern then you wouldn't know when to start her on them anyway.

Pringlemunchers Wed 14-Feb-18 19:34:36

Yes , I agree. I have taken it myself, but that was as an adult in a regular pattern and I didn't really have any problems. I looked online and it said something about taking it for irregular periods and I wondered how that would work ? But I must admit I don't really feel comfortable mucking about with it all, if it is not really necessary. They are not too bad , just a pain in the arse to have on holiday ( she hasn't used tampons yet)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: