Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Doctors for small breasts?

(28 Posts)
BlankSpace1 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:30:34

I'm expecting to get some hate on this thread.. but I hope not! My question is about going to the doctor's about having small breasts. I'm 23, up until now I a small B cup, which I felt was small but I was okay with it, since having my 2 children however I am barely filling an A cup.
I am aware that beauty is more than skin deep and I do try to be positive with my body (I am weight training for bikini competitions for example) but it is affecting my every day life. I will only wear tops that are loose and baggy, I cannot shop for bras without getting upset and ending up more suited to the section for your first bra. I refuse to wear padding, they seem misleading to me, not to mention my boobs are so small they just ride up anyway as nothing holds them in place. I don't feel like a woman, whatever I wear, however nice it is, all I can see is my flat chest and I struggle to be seen by others when it's all im aware of. My partner is supportive and he loves me, but he knows how much it gets me down. I would happily pay for a boob job but with my full time uni I have no opportunity to even think about earning enough right now. I already have mental health issues, and this seems to add to those now. I don't want to go and get laughed at or seem like im trying to scrounge from the NHS, im really not, but I really don't know what to do! Anyway thanks for reading 🌸

Snoopyokay Wed 14-Feb-18 21:48:10

You have nothing to lose by asking I guess but with the state the NHS is in at the moment I would imagine it would have to be making you severely depressed for them to consider it. It is horrible that you feel so down about it though sad I too am an A cup but I think I've got so used to it now that I'd feel strange with bigger boobs.

You can always have them done after uni if you manage to get a loan or something I'm sure a lot of people would and have done the same!

lovemylover Thu 15-Feb-18 18:33:50

A lot of cosmetic surgery places have finance plans, but not sure if you have to have a certain amount of income to qualify
Might be worth asking

UnimaginativeUsername Thu 15-Feb-18 18:42:38

It would probably be better to approach this as a MH issue and seek counselling about it (via your doctor). There is nothing wrong with having small breasts, and it doesn’t make you less womanly. With counselling you might come to be more accepting of your body.

Also there’s nothing at all wrong with a bit of padding if it makes you feel better. It’s not any more ‘misleading’ than wearing foundation to improve how your skin looks, or eyeliner, or spanx, or whatever. If it makes you feel happier, buy some chicken fillets.

And, if you still want breast implants in the future when you’ve a bit more money, then you can do that.

PersianCatLady Tue 20-Feb-18 20:56:11

I cannot shop for bras without getting upset and ending up more suited to the section for your first bra
My friend felt like that when she had a double mastectomy and went shopping for bras.

I refuse to wear padding, they seem misleading to me
Yet saline implants under the skin are OK?

Honestly, if you want breast implants then save up or get a loan and pay for them yourself.

I know I sound harsh but the NHS has far more important priorities than cosmetic breast implants.

Itsbecauseimaleo Tue 20-Feb-18 20:59:45

I'm sorry but this is not a priority for the NHS. I don't see the difference between padding and implants hmm plenty of cosmetic surgeries offer finance plans. I also suggest going to the GP for some help with your mental health.

Lovemusic33 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:06:46

I have found since doing weights at the gym my boobs have got smaller, I can no longer wear a proper bra only crop tops or sports bras. I bought a b cup bra last week and it’s huge. I was a C cup before I started working out (post children). I don’t think I would go to the gp though, it doesn’t bother me too much, on the rare occasion that I need to dress up I can wear padding. Maybe if I had the money I would consider surgery but I don’t feel it’s something I am entitled too on the nhs.

te7037 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:09:10

Unless you wish to end up looking like Katie Price or you really have a mental health issue, you should abandon the idea of getting a free boob job. Think about the money that could be spent on other vital services such as boob jobs for former breast cancer patients.

Be reasonable and sensible about what you deserve to receive from the taxpayers and what you don't so.

Cookie4u Tue 20-Feb-18 22:33:51

Hi Hun , I'm a 26 mum of 2 and was 34AA after 2nd was born , I sufferd badly as I had hypertrophic nipples( very long nips ) and at that onto a flat chest it looked awful.
I spoke to my gp and she recommend a surgeon , I saw him on the NHS and he told me he would apply but he's had them refuse patients with breast that a different sizes . I waited about 6 months and nothing . The later found I was rejected . Luckily my family pulled some money together and I had paid £5.500 to go privately with the surgeon who I saw on the nhs as he was one of the best . That was 2 years ago .and I'm only a 34 b/c cup .
I did however get excepted to have a nipple correction done on the NHS.

Cookie4u Tue 20-Feb-18 22:37:11

I know your confidance is low but honestly try and save or get finance for your breasts .
You'll find away . Anyway small breasts are sexy

pigeondujour Tue 20-Feb-18 22:41:09

'Misleading' hmm

Upsidedownandinsideout Tue 20-Feb-18 22:41:14

I feel sympathy, after going down from a c/d to an A cup after feeding multiple DCs. It's a big knock to your confidence and your wardrobe, and would feel even worse at 23.

That said, I cannot see you getting help on the NHS, really. You are still young - is there time to save up, if you are really determined? After Uni, you will be earning. And in the meantime, definitely speak to your gp to see if you can get some counselling, and start looking for small-boobed Instagrammers for inspiration - I am also a bit in love with &Other Stories, and lots of their dresses wouldn't work with a bra, so we can strut proud!

happymumof4crazykids Tue 20-Feb-18 22:48:57

I hate people who try to get cosmetic surgery for free on the NHS there is no way with the state of the NHS that they should ever be considered. People with cancer and life limiting diseases cannot get the medication and treatments they need. If you want to be happy with your body be grateful you have any breasts at all. Some women have to have theirs removed and can never have them reconstructed because of how severe the mastectomy had to be. If you want bigger boobs either gain weight or pay privately.

Nyetimber Tue 20-Feb-18 22:57:10

The CCG won’t fund breast enlargements as there is no clinical need. Funding streams simply won’t allow you to be offered surgery except as reconstruction after essential breast surgery.
You maybe need to do something about your confidence and surgery probably isn’t the answer. Larger or smaller breasts don’t make you more or less beautiful.
If you want surgery you’ll have to start saving.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 20-Feb-18 23:01:25

At 23 I was an AA cup. It wasn’t a problem, yours is a MH problem with how you view your body and your self esteem. Please see a good therapist. Increasing the size of your breasts will not alter your life one bit.

mayhew Tue 20-Feb-18 23:02:57

It's true that the NHS has only rarely paid for breast enhancement even when I worked in plastic surgery in the 1980s. Nowadays, no chance.
If you have naturally small breasts, the less fat you carry, the smaller they'll be. When I was a slim young childless person, I was a 32AA and never wore a bra.
Be critical about the external pressure that makes you unhappy in your own healthy body.
I think the culture now has become too breast focused. I honestly didn't think about them much in my youth. It is a fad, it might pass. And consider, fashion models rarely have significant boobs.
The upside is, now I'm less slim, have breastfed and much older, they are a little bit bigger but, still quite perky, not matronly. Gravity has not had the effect it has on bigger ones.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 20-Feb-18 23:03:35

I am an A cup. I used to hate it but I love my boobs now. They are a great shape and not saggy after having five children (although they were shortly after each birth). I can get away with no bra as long as I wear something thick enough to cover up my nipples.

The downside is that some tops I will never be able to wear.

I struggled with it for a long time and when I hit my 30s I started liking them and it stopped being an issue. I got my nipple pierced recently and I like them even more.

I am just sharing my story to say that you may not always feel the way you do now, that it is possible to go from hating being small chested to liking, or just accepting what you have. I think for me it was very much a self-esteem issue and getting implants would have just meant I would have focused on something else I hated. I guess you need to ask yourself if you think you would be the same.

There is very little chance of getting them on the NHS though. You have more chance of winning the lottery. My friend was flat chested, and she was not allowed implants on the NHS and that was about 8 years ago, and things are even stricter now.

Littlechocola Tue 20-Feb-18 23:08:25

I have small breasts and I embrace it. I wear clothes that suit my figure.
If someone said here have a free boob job, it’s 100% safe I would probably ask for a holiday instead.
Make the most of what you do have.

Madcatter Tue 20-Feb-18 23:08:51

I used to find my 32a bras riding up and assumed it was because they had nothing to hold onto. I was actually wearing the wrong size and the band was too big. I'm now in a 30c. My breasts are wide and flat and while I can't say I feel comfortable about the way they look, I feel a lot better than I used to. It could be that yours have changed shape and a better fitting bra might make a surprising difference.

Littlechocola Tue 20-Feb-18 23:11:30

Forgot to say are you sure you are wearing the right size bra? Also if you look in the right places you can buy some lovely bras in smaller sizes. Beautiful delicate things that wouldn’t suit larger breasts.

KennDodd Tue 20-Feb-18 23:11:47

Are you very slim op? If you were a B before it might be weight loss that's the issue.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 20-Feb-18 23:14:44

I hate people who try to get cosmetic surgery for free on the NHS there is no way with the state of the NHS that they should ever be considered.

That's a bit strong. You really don't need to hate people who ask their GP if it is possible.

The OP is clearly struggling and her dislike of her breasts could signify other problems with her self-esteem etc. OP has MH issues and it is likely all related.

When I felt like the OP it was all consuming . Surgery wouldn't have been the answer anyway, but I never considered someone would hate me for asking my GP.

OP needs some support here, not harsh replies telling her to be grateful that she has boobs at all. Unfortunately when you feel the way the OP does that isn't very helpful. She isn't going to stop feeling the way she does because you told her to be grateful she hasn't had to have a double mastectomy.

DuckBilledAardvark Tue 20-Feb-18 23:14:46

I used to find my 32a bras riding up and assumed it was because they had nothing to hold onto. I was actually wearing the wrong size and the band was too big. I'm now in a 30c.

This! M&S has a lot to answer for, they sell a 32 so I was a 32... I actually measure 28 inches round my bust. I've got a lot more body confident since hitting my 30's and finding a man who loves me for me. //vomit

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Tue 20-Feb-18 23:15:33

If it is causing you so much distres then there are payment plans available when you go private, it would be highly unlikely that you would get it done on the NHS so you will have to sort this out yourself, one thing I would say is I have noticed in the past few years how the fashion for larger breasts has changed and smaller ones are far more in vogue now.

PersianCatLady Tue 20-Feb-18 23:22:50

She isn't going to stop feeling the way she does because you told her to be grateful she hasn't had to have a double mastectomy
I didn't say she should be grateful for having breasts at all, I stated a fact.

Sorry but the OP hit a nerve, I know it won't change the way she feels about herself but she should realise just how lucky she is instead of obsessing over physical appearance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now