Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Painful, heavy periods - tried many things - advice tips anything welcome

(13 Posts)
paganmolloy Wed 14-Feb-18 09:35:19

This is on behalf of my 14 year old daughter. She hit puberty early (age 11) and has had hellish periods and mood swings. Last year she was put on the pill to help. She had to take them continually to stop periods altogether. She is now on her fourth type as each one seems to have varying side effects. The first made her eat more, put on weight, feel bad about it, lots of spots etc and she still had break through bleeds. Can't remember the effects of the second one. The last one I thought was doing the trick as she was really buoyant and full of life and energy but she said it didn't stop the bleeding so she is now on ethinylestradiol. She took it normally with a break but her period was horrendous, just as bad as before so was then told that it was ok to take it continually but the side effects are back to spots, constant eating, lethargy, real moodiness etc. I'm at a loss as to what to try next for her and I could cry for her. She's a great lass and deals with it admirably but it's just shit for her.
Any ideas, experiences, herbal alternatives anything would be most welcome.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 14-Feb-18 12:56:34

I would go back to the GP and tell this person that the treatment prescribed is not working.

She needs a diagnosis first and foremost.

She really needs to see a gynaecologist via her GP because endometriosis or PMDD ( Premenstrual dysphoric disorder) could well be possible causes here of your DDs menstrual problems; both can cause both heavy and painful bleeding. Herbal remedies will not help here if this is indeed the underlying cause.

In the meantime I would advise her to keep a daily pain and symptom diary noting down everything. This will help give the gynae clues.

Bexter801 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:00:29

I find primrose oil tablets a God sent

smilingelizabeth Wed 14-Feb-18 13:04:22

Your poor daughter. Has she tried Tranexamic Acid. You can get over the counter in Boots or on prescription. Made a massive difference to me.

paganmolloy Wed 14-Feb-18 13:36:47

Thanks folks, got an appointment next week. It's a nightmare for all of us to live with.

Monkeybunkey Thu 15-Feb-18 13:26:24

Would she consider the contraceptive implant rather than the pill? I'm considerably older than your daughter but used to have horribly heavy, painful periods which no medication helped with. I got the implant for contraception rather than due to my periods, but it's stopped my cycle so I essentially have no periods at all (occasionally a bit of spotting) and, better still, no pain!

paganmolloy Sun 18-Feb-18 13:16:04

Thanks, all tips and advice welcome

peony2325 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:25:52

It may be worth asking the GP to prescribe mefenamic acid as a painkiller, I find it much more effective than the usual paracetamol + ibuprofen. Acupuncture can also really help.

happyreds Tue 20-Feb-18 00:28:42

That sounds really tough sad

I don't have much advice, but my periods used to be extremely painful, but they are WAY better since using a mooncup so that might be something to try.

Waddlelikeapenguin Tue 20-Feb-18 00:42:02

I had the first painless periods of my life once i followed this - basically untucking your pelvis. May not be relevant to your daughter but easy to check/do.
nutritiousmovement.com/you-dont-know-squat/
Didnt make them any lighter though...

paganmolloy Wed 21-Feb-18 09:04:39

Thanks Waddle, never heard of that before but it makes sense, even if you don't have heavy, painful periods.

OurMiracle1106 Wed 21-Feb-18 09:09:39

For pain I suffer with endometriosis and use a TENS machine I got in Superdrug for about £30 it is the only thing that helps. I wear it even at work (and unless my wires are trailing no one even knows it exists)

It definitely is worth investigating it took me 12 years of doctors and hospitals to be diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries and endometriosis.

Rumpledfaceskin Wed 21-Feb-18 09:11:49

Yes I had horrendous period pain as a teen and was given mefenamic acid. It really helped.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: