Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this look like an ear infection? (Picture)

(20 Posts)
CobaltRose Mon 12-Feb-18 13:46:56

Hi everyone. I'm 21 years old, no known health problems and not on any medications.

About a week and a half ago I came down with a cold. A couple of days later I woke up to find that I was deaf in my left ear. I just assumed it was mucus buildup from my cold and would clear up once my cold did. However, it's now been a week and I'm still deaf. If anything it's getting worse. I also have tinnitus in the same ear. Initially I peered in my ear and couldn't see anything, but today I was having another look and saw a yellowy/white substance sitting in the ear canal. I managed to take a picture. It's not the best quality-wise but I hope you can make out what I mean.

Does this substance indicate infection? Or is it just weird looking earwax? My ear doesn't hurt at all but I have been feeling a little unwell for a couple of days. Nauseous and generally a bit under the weather. I have booked a GP appointment but unfortunately they cannot fit me in until Thursday. Should I call them again and asked to be seen sooner? I've never had an ear infection before so have no idea what they feel like. confused

Thanks in advance!

ItWentInMyEye Mon 12-Feb-18 13:49:10

Could be a fungal ear infection? Have you got a pharmacy nearby you could call into and ask the pharmacist to have a look?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 12-Feb-18 13:52:27

Looks like your ear drum has burst.

CobaltRose Mon 12-Feb-18 13:55:46

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Crumbs Georgie, really? I thought a perforated eardrum was incredibly painful? My ear doesn't hurt at all. Well, it's a little bit achy but nothing major. Probably a 1 out of 10 on the pain scale. I suppose if it's burst it'll just heal on it's own?

Silvercatowner Mon 12-Feb-18 14:16:22

Looks like your ear drum has burst.

It REALLY doesn't!!!

Ofthread Mon 12-Feb-18 14:17:29

If you can't hear you need an emergency GP appointment.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 12-Feb-18 18:43:49

It REALLY doesn't!!!

Erm, yes it does.

Silvercatowner Mon 12-Feb-18 19:00:58

Lol HOW? There's a blob on the skin fold above the ear canal - could be anything. The ear canal itself just looks.... like an ear canal. Perforated/burst ear drums are painful - don't you think the OP would know? (And don't you think it's a tad alarmist suggesting such a thing??)

flumpybear Mon 12-Feb-18 19:10:38

I'd call non emergency and ask for medical input rather than a receptionist

Certainly looks like pus/infection yo me but I'm no expert

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 12-Feb-18 19:12:44

Nothing alarming about a burst eardrum. Why would she be alarmed? If it is that then it’s already happened. There looks to be a lot of discharge rather than wax.

And quit speaking to me like that. Op asked an opinion and I gave it. No need for you to chime in and have a go. Wind your neck in.

Lalalaleah Mon 12-Feb-18 19:15:36

Hi OP
My children get this discharge frequently with ear infections. They have perforated ear drums but the pain is before the discharge is seen - once it starts coming out the worst is over. The perforation could be an old one hence no pain now.

CobaltRose Mon 12-Feb-18 19:17:07

Thanks everyone. I rang the surgery back and asked to speak to a nurse. She advised that it certainly sounded like an infection (and possibly a burst eardrum...) and that I should book an emergency appointment tomorrow morning.

Please don't argue guys, I appreciate all input.

welliments Mon 12-Feb-18 19:19:01

It really doesn't look like a burst ear drum.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 12-Feb-18 19:23:23

Good luck op. Let us know how you get on. flowers

CobaltRose Mon 12-Feb-18 19:26:39

I certainly will keep you updated. I've never had an ear infection before so this is all new to me grin Wonder if it's got anything to do with this horrible bug that's been going around? Thought I'd escaped it.... xD

CobaltRose Tue 13-Feb-18 11:08:33

Managed to get an emergency GP appointment for 9am today. Turns out I've got viral labyrinthitis and a ruptured ear drum. Because it's viral antibiotics would make no difference so I've just been advised that the infection will pass on it's own and to keep my ear dry. Funnily enough my hearing is slightly better today grin

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 13-Feb-18 11:12:26

Sorry to hear that. Do get well soon flowerscakebrew

Ofthread Tue 13-Feb-18 13:50:38

Just wondering how they know it's viral without a swab? I'm not a doctor and not questioning it btw. My mate went permanently deaf in one ear from an ear infection.

Picassopilot Tue 13-Feb-18 17:13:21

I hope they did swab it! hmm

DD2 burst both eardrums and due to constant discharge (that looked just like your photo) and one side never healing properly, ended up having a myringoplasty.

Go back if it continues to discharge

CobaltRose Tue 13-Feb-18 17:16:43

Yes, he swabbed it just in case. But he said that because I'd had a cold JUST before it's very likely that it's viral. Plus, apparently when he looked in my ear the infection was already pretty much on it's way out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now