Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dental crown

(9 Posts)
greathat Mon 12-Feb-18 13:06:49

Been told I need one of these as they just have to keep replacing a filling and it gets bigger every time. No idea what involved though. A quick google suggests more than one appointment but this wasn't mentioned. Can someone please reassure me and tell me what happens

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Feb-18 13:09:22

What tooth is it on, a front or back one? I have a gold crown on a back tooth, it was one appointment and no harder or longer than getting a filling.

Xnic Mon 12-Feb-18 13:17:35

I’m in the middle of having a crown on a back tooth. On Friday they filed the tooth down, took the filing out, cleaned it out, took impressions and put a temporary crown on. In two weeks I’ll go back and they’ll fit the permanent crown. I’m terrified of the dentist but it wasn’t too bad, was in about half an hour and with the anaesthetic, didn’t feel a thing.

Plexie Mon 12-Feb-18 13:20:44

www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-crowns#1

Two appointments needed: the first to drill away the top of the tooth and take an impression to make a mould so the crown will fit to the tooth. They put a gummy substance in your mouth and you have to bite down for a while so that it forms the shape. They then give you a temporary replacement crown. (Actually I think they make two moulds: one of the outer shape of the existing tooth and another of the 'inner' shape, ie the bit that will bond with the remaining tooth.)

The mould is sent away to a laboratory where the crown is made. You then have another appointment with the dentist (about 2 weeks later) to remove the temporary crown and fit the permanent crown (usually doesn't take long, unless they need to file the crown for a perfect fit).

greathat Mon 12-Feb-18 13:31:56

ThAnks it's for a back tooth. I really don't like the dentist but it sounds cope-able

HardAsSnails Mon 12-Feb-18 14:22:53

I kept putting mine off and when I had it done it was so much less awful than I expected. The moulds are grim, but they don't take long. I didn't have any anasthetic as the tooth had already had root canal work done and was heavily filled so it just needed filing to take the crown. It has felt so much better since having the crown fitted.

Alwayscheerful Mon 12-Feb-18 15:40:59

All the descriptions above sound familiar. I had one before Christmas on a back tooth it was £500for a white one and another one after Christmas £525, I queried the cost and the dentist said the prices had gone up, I was offered a choice of metal, white or a more expensive white. 3year guarantee.

superior crown

greathat Mon 12-Feb-18 18:37:40

Ah mine would just be a standard NHS one. Even then it's pricey

gobbin Mon 12-Feb-18 21:37:09

Crown fitting is less hassle than a filling, in my opinion. I have two.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: