Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Restless Legs syndrome - treatment

(8 Posts)
MissisBoote Mon 12-Feb-18 09:08:57

I have me/cfs and when I have periods of relapse which mean I'm pretty much in bed for several weeks at a time.

I've started getting what I now realise is restless legs syndrome. The aching has been waking me up in the night and is having an impact on my sleep as I'm also waking from the involuntary movements. I only get it when I have the periods of relapse.

Any ideas of how to treat? I'm on nortriptyline for the me/cfs which generally helps with the day to day pain.

I also have codeine to take when I need it.

Can I take the codeine when I wake in the night?

potatoesofthenight Mon 12-Feb-18 09:14:12

Hi Missis
Try using magnesium oil spray. You spray it on the soles of your feet and rub it in, it works for me. It also sends me off to sleep.

MissisBoote Mon 12-Feb-18 10:10:33

Ooh yes - I forgot about magnesium.

I bath in it quite regularly but I'll try the spray out too. Any particular brand that you'd recommend?

esk1mo Mon 12-Feb-18 15:18:44

BetterYou do the best spray, they also do gel and moisturiser. i spray on my calves, thighs & stomach and rub in. works great

tangledyarn Mon 12-Feb-18 15:35:38

I have ME too and horrendous restless legs. I've never found anything that gets rid of it but making sure my iron levels are good, taking its much worse when im anaemic. I also have a cold pad in the bed which helps. I take gabapentin which can help some people but doesn't do anything for mine.

BigEthel Mon 12-Feb-18 15:53:13

Go to the doctors. I got put on a low dose of Ropinirole and it is amazing. I've suffered RLS all my life and this has truly been a game changer.

MissisBoote Mon 12-Feb-18 21:18:13

I've picked up some holland and barrett spray so will slather my legs tonight - fingers crossed it'll make a difference.

I need to go for my annual blood tests soon so will ask about the ropinirole. Do you take it every day BigEthel?

MissisBoote Wed 14-Feb-18 11:17:41

The spray is working a treat - thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: