Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe stomach pain. What do I do?

(15 Posts)
darx Sun 11-Feb-18 21:42:49

I woke up at 4 in the morning with horrible stomach cramps and pain in my lower back. This happens a few times a month. The pain is comparable to contractions, I can't think of anything else apart from how much it hurts. I took 60mg codeine and it didn't help at all so I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been in pain all day but it's coming in waves of being unbearable. Still in pain now despite taking codeine every 4 hours sad

I have been to gp about this before and referred to a gynaecologist as I have endometriosis but she doesn't think that's causing the pain. I'm absolutely sick of it and don't know what to do anymore. I feel like no one is taking me seriously about how the pain is ruining my life.

Dp wanted to ring 111 earlier but I have been to A&E before when this happened and got sent away. I also have a poorly baby so didn't want to sit in the hospital all day to get sent away again. I've been reading about gallstones and wondering if it could be that? I really don't know what to do anymore.

Bloomed Sun 11-Feb-18 21:45:25

Do you have pain just under your ribs?

darx Sun 11-Feb-18 21:48:18

It's centre and lower abdomen. I have had pain under my ribs before with it but not this time

cushioncovers Sun 11-Feb-18 21:49:27

Kidney stones

Gall stones

Both are extremely painful

lougle Sun 11-Feb-18 21:50:15

Codeine isn't working, and that's a hefty dose, so I wouldn't bother taking that. It will constipate you, too, which will make things worse.

Have you tried paracetamol? I know it sounds lame, because it is so commonly available, but if it is taken properly, according the instructions, it's really effective. Ibuprofen can be effective, too, but you really need to consult a chemist.

Does it ease with warmth? Have you tried a warm wheat bag, or a hot water bottle, or a bath?

darx Sun 11-Feb-18 21:54:29

I've been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen with the codeine. Yes I have had a hot water bottle all day and that does help a little bit as does a hot bath. But I can barley get back out of the bath with the pain sad

SeaToSki Sun 11-Feb-18 21:55:24

It sounds like my endometrial pain, mine got worse with wind and trying to poop. They found adhesions to my bowl and cauterized them. I now have the Mirena and the pain is almost gone. Have you had a laproscopy recently to check for adhesions?

For pain management, i can recommend alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol. Also try a downward dog (ish) pose. Seemed to relax things a little

darx Sun 11-Feb-18 21:58:15

I haven't had a period for nearly 2 years (pregnancy and breastfeeding) so my gynaecologist said it's unlikely to be endometriosis pain as i'm not actively bleeding. It really like that type of pain though. She wants to wait until my periods return to do another laparoscopy

Bloomed Sun 11-Feb-18 23:44:14

Might be gallstones but I'd ask for an ultrasound. Is there any correlation with what you eat?

helensburgh Sun 11-Feb-18 23:52:12

Could be sphincter of oddi dysfunction

QueenOfGaviscon Sun 11-Feb-18 23:57:41

I get gallstones and it sounds similar. I've found drinking loads of water and a cold compress then massaging the pain? I honestly don't know if it's just something to do whilst it passes or whether it works but I find its better than writhing around in pain. thanks

brizzledrizzle Mon 12-Feb-18 00:00:32

I'd think gallstones too

BusterGonad Mon 12-Feb-18 17:36:12

I get contraction like pains when my Crohns is flaring, nothing and I mean NOTHING touches the sides, I'm only relieved of it when I finally have a bowel movements or I'm sick and that can be up to 12 hours after getting the pains!

darx Mon 12-Feb-18 18:08:51

I've just been to the doctors and she has referred me for an ultrasound and a blood test to check for coeliac. Hopefully get some answers soon. Still in pain now sad

Bloomed Mon 12-Feb-18 18:11:40

Well done darx. I hope you get some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now