Talk

Advanced search

angular cheilitis? Agony

(9 Posts)
Cookie4u Sun 11-Feb-18 00:04:51

For 9 years on and off I've had " cold sores " like anyone does ,
I have always wondered why my cold sore were in the corner of my mouth and the creams never helped.
WELL ....
I got a cold sore again in Nov 2017 , and it just doesn't seem to want to go away . So I typed in cracked corners in mouth and angular cheilitis popped up ..

And I finally found an answer . I can't believe it . ( I have it severely )
And I've realise that I've never had a cold sore in my life I've just had this .
Any advice ??

ReggaetonLente Sun 11-Feb-18 00:13:43

I get it from certain types of toothpaste. Took me years to work out, but the only toothpaste I can have is Colgate. We used to just buy whatever was on offer and the other brands would set it off.

It’s awful isn’t it, I sympathise.

Praminthehall Sun 11-Feb-18 00:15:54

you need to get some Daktarin Oral Gel - over the counter, small tube, orange flavour. Use it several times a day and at bedtime and it will go. I get this when run down. Dentist told me that was what it was and what I needed to get.

zen1 Sun 11-Feb-18 07:44:00

I used to get this frequently and it turned out to be because I was quite anaemic and b12 deficient. It might be worth having a blood test so that if you are anaemic or have other deficiencies, you can get treated for them. It completely disappeared for me when my iron levels went back up.

AllButterShortbread Sun 11-Feb-18 07:48:51

Omg ds gets this shock Lip balm doesn’t help much and now I can see (possibly) why! shock

FairyPenguin Sun 11-Feb-18 08:06:55

I have this. I've had it for as long as I can remember, over 30 years. My mouth is scarred from me picking at the sores. The doctor used to give me steroid creams as they thought it was eczema.

It wasn't until I changed dentists when I moved house that the new dentist commented on it and told me what it was. Then told me to use the Daktarin Oral Gel. It stings but it works and quickly. Amazing. That was about 5 years ago.

Then a year ago I got other symptoms which included very dry and itchy eyes and having to constantly clear my throat. My eyes were so painful even with eye drops and my throat-clearing was annoying DP so I googled those symptoms out of desperation as it was the weekend so gp not open. Well I am sure I have a vitamin b2 deficiency. Those 2 symptoms combined with the mouth cracks are classic symptoms of Vit b2 deficiency!

I have been taking a vitamin b complex supplement and a b2 one as well ever since and I feel like a different person. I am gutted that I have lived with this for over 30 years and it could have been fixed with vitamin tablets!!

Cookie4u Sun 11-Feb-18 08:39:40

Thank you ladies for all the messages , I actually bought the cream the other day and within 8 hours the cracks started to heal , I will keep it up xx

Also I will get some bloods done as I keep getting sick as well x

gobbin Sun 11-Feb-18 21:18:34

Try taking a hgh strength Vitamin B. (Natures Best B-100 is my go-to). DM and I always used to get issues with cracked lip corners and taking Vit B sorted it (and cracked skin on elbows, bizarrely!)

willdoitinaminute Sun 11-Feb-18 21:50:07

I would second the vit B. Also the infection is usually from inside the mouth. Try washing the corners of your mouth then drying thoroughly, apply a barrier ( not petroleum based) very sparingly so it waterproofs the skin stopping it becoming soggy from saliva. Don’t use a chap stick directly as it picks up bacteria and you will just keep reinfecting the area. If you use lipstick or lipgloss you may be reinfecting the area with these.
I would try to get hold of some Fusidin ointment ( not cream) which is a good antibacterial barrier anyway. Your dentist may be better qualified to diagnose than practice nurse ( you probably won’t get to see a GP with cracked mouth !).
Unless you wear a denture it’s unlikely to be angular cheilitis so antifungals like dactarin are not very useful. If you are a denture wearer then you will have to treat the denture, the inside of your mouth and the outside of your mouth.
Hope this is helpful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: