Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is this a urinary tract infection?

(3 Posts)
nationalgeographicnovel Sat 10-Feb-18 23:23:04

I've got what feels like very mild period cramps, and have done on and off since my last period which ended about a week ago. Feel ok otherwise. I've had other months where I've had this mild feeling but have just brushed it off. Could it be an injection? I thought I may have thrush last week but that went away... I wee quite a lot but drink a lot of water and always have done. I'm off on holiday on Monday and no time for the doctor. I do however have a course of antibiotics I could take...

Rainbowsandflowers78 Sun 11-Feb-18 03:00:16

Don’t be silly you can’t take antibiotics that aren’t prescribed. You might not even be taking the right ones to treat your symptoms

shouldnthavesaid Sun 11-Feb-18 09:42:04

Were they prescribed by the GP for UTIs? I have often been given an 'emergency' pack of broadspec antibiotics to keep in the cupboard in case I develop a UTI and can't see a doctor quickly. I've been told to do that though. Have a pack of amoxicillin in drawer. But if I did develop symptoms I'd take that and still try to see a GP where possible.

If they're just random abs you happen to have lying about the house I wouldn't , they might not help and you might not have an infection making their use unnecessary. You might also have a reaction to them.

If you think it is a UTI you could go to a pharmacy, they are qualified to assist with minor illness such as a UTI. Supermarkets have OTC treatments too (mainly ones to neutralise the urine). Pushdoctor, Lloyds pharmacy do online prescribing but probably expensive.. also 111 or walk in centre!

In the short term I find forcing about 50ml of water mixed with a tsp of bicarb brings short term relief. It's disgusting and burpy but calms burning.

As it happens a lot though still best to see your own doctor for proper diagnosis, could be lots of things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: