Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really blocked ear - any tips?

(13 Posts)
BlarneyRubble Sat 10-Feb-18 21:56:27

I’ve had a head cold (mainly sinuses) for about 10 days. For the last 3/4 days I’ve had a really blocked ear. I have constant noise in my ear and normal noises sound really loud in it. It’s driving me crazy.
I already take antihistamines daily (for allergy related eczema) and I use a nasal rinse every night. Any other suggestions. I don’t want to bother the Dr with it but it’s driving me crazy and quite sore if I don’t take pain killers.

Thanks.

Fairylea Sat 10-Feb-18 22:00:22

Old fashioned steaming? Put your head over a bowl of boiling hot water with a towel over the top and breathe in the steam.

BlarneyRubble Sat 10-Feb-18 22:04:58

Thanks Fairylea, will put on my list of stuff to try!
With or without olbas oil in do you think?

Spam88 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:06:56

Are you able to take a decongestant?

TeenagersandFurbabies Sat 10-Feb-18 22:14:38

Try a steroid nasal spray like Beconase or Pirinase as it will calm down the inflammation and your ear will unblock.
It does work as a few years back I went to the doctors after a cold left me with a blocked ear that made squelchy noises and felt very strange.He prescribed a steroid spray and within a week my ear was back to normal.

BlarneyRubble Sat 10-Feb-18 22:24:46

I have taken decongestant tablets and they really help but this is Day 3 of them and you aren’t supposed to take any more than that.

Can I buy the steroid nasal spray over the counter? That sounds like the thing I need too.

MyBoysAndI Sat 10-Feb-18 22:26:19

Yes you can

MyBoysAndI Sat 10-Feb-18 22:26:35

Beconase

Argeles Sat 10-Feb-18 22:32:50

Do all of the above.

If you have a microwaveable wheat pillow, put that against your ear - so soothing and helps unblock your tubes.

Google the ‘valsalver technique,’ this may help you too.

Turquoisetamborine Sat 10-Feb-18 22:40:44

I use Otex. Works within a couple of days.

BlarneyRubble Sat 10-Feb-18 22:43:24

Brilliant! Thanks everyone, will hit the pharmacy tomorrow.
Also will send dh downstairs to warm up a bean pillow thingy. He’ll be happy to do it if he thinks it will stop me grumbling grin

Marv1nGay3 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:47:26

I had a blocked ear like this with a cold. Cranial osteopathy worked for me- it was like magic. Eustachian tube unstuck immediately! Might be worth a try. You are very wise not to overdo the decongestants as I did this and ended up with a Eustachian tube that was stuck open. It was not nice.

Rainbowsandflowers78 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:50:59

It sounds like you have the start of an ear infection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now