Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Sitting on the loo with a UTI...

(24 Posts)
Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:23:54

I have cranberry juice and a hot water bottle, taken a bath with tea tree oil, been taking d mannose since yesterday but tbh it only gives me wind! Got blood in urine, terrible cramps in kidneys and lower abdomen, also that nerve thing you get in your hip when you’re pregnant. In fact I feel a bit like I’m in the early stages of labour (I’m not). I have a hot water bottle for the 5 mins I make it back to bed. Can anything else help get me through til tomorrow when I have an out of hours gp appt? Actually am mainly just posting to take my mind off the pain. Anyone got any ideas? Or just entertaining banter?

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:24:42

I’m also catering for 8 tomorrow lunchtime... will anyone reassure me it’ll be better by then?

Akire Sat 10-Feb-18 20:26:49

Do you have urgent care you can go? I not leave passing blood and pain. It’s just not going get better only worse. I find sitting in warm bath or peeing in bowl of cool water can help when you need to go if pain is horrific. You need anti B all we you start the bettee

TheQueenOfWands Sat 10-Feb-18 20:26:58

Alka Seltzer is suppose to 'hide' UTI symptoms.

I've never tried it, read it on Buzzfeed.

I get lots of UTIs. They're cunts. You can have ALL of my sympathy.

Akire Sat 10-Feb-18 20:27:38

Call 111 for advice they prob send you into hospital

Mol1628 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:28:50

I used to get lots of UTIs

Downing pint after pint of water helped a lot. I do that whenever I feel one starting.

Those sachets you can get from the shops are good too even though they taste gross. Cystopurin or something.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:01

I kind of feel I’ll probably only see a gp by approx 7 am having sat in a waiting room all night so was just going to wait it out til my appt at 10 tomorrow... I live in London and Saturday nights are hideous in out of hours, always s&b, never send a gp etc. I don’t think I could cope with sitting on the loo at st George’s with drunks vomiting next door to me!

Paintspotsonthefloor Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:05

Doctor, tonight. By whatever means necessary.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:34

Ha ha a&e, would be amazing if s&b

BWatchWatcher Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:58

Get antibiotics asap! Do not mess around.

Akire Sat 10-Feb-18 20:30:15

Slight burning for UTi can wait out and drink lots. Blood and kidney pain is serious. Ring 111 May find you apt sooner

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:32:06

Ok, I’ll try, but am categorically not going to sit in a London a&e all night. Actually it has eased up a bit, must be younlot giving me moral support.

Catstar123 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:33:40

OP this sounds like a kidney infection not a UTI. Please ring 111 at least, but I think they would advise you to go to A and E. Other option is PushDoctor/or one of these other new apps where you can see GP over phone. You have to pay, but they can prescribe antibiotics and you’d get them ASAP.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:34:28

Oh I’ll look into that!

dressinggowndressingdown Sat 10-Feb-18 20:37:45

Blood in your urine - could already mean it has gone to your kidneys & could already mean you may have pyelonephritis, which (from experience twice) is horrid and could lead to a hospital stay.

You need antibiotics tonight, sepsis is also a risk.

SueGeneris Sat 10-Feb-18 20:38:12

I'm sure I've had antibiotics prescribed over the phone by out of hours gp before. It was for mastitis. Have you had it before? I'd try that. It's not as if they can 'see' your uti in person.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:40:32

sue just found out laughing hurts!

DropZoneOne Sat 10-Feb-18 20:42:07

What the others said - blood is serious and you need antibiotics asap. Are you near one of those private walk in doctors? I've seen one at Victoria station. Might be an option if funds would stretch and you don't fancy a&e.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 20:44:21

I’m doing that push thing, seems ideal

bustedwomb Sat 10-Feb-18 20:48:24

OP you have my sympathies. I had a bastard of a UTI over Xmas and it was resistant to antibiotics so had two different courses. Really, really painful it was. Hope you feel better soon thanks

picklemepopcorn Sat 10-Feb-18 20:52:24

Drink gallons of water in the mean time.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 21:01:57

Got a prescription! Push doctor is great, thanks catstar

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 21:07:47

FYI I actually found my hypnobirthing breathing exercises really helpful during the worst of it. I think it must relax your bladder a bit and your lower pelvis...

Catstar123 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:30:59

Swimminguphill glad you’ve got some antibiotics. Fingers crossed you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: