Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

inflammatory bowel disease with normal stool sample?

(12 Posts)
Bloomed Sat 10-Feb-18 11:47:20

Due to other symptoms which have followed years of ibs symptoms and constant abdominal pain I am wondering if it's actually ulcerative colitis or similar. I've had a stool test at my gp and they've said it's normal. Apparently that means it's ibs and no further action will be taken. Is it possible for a stool test to be normal but still an inflammatory bowel problem present?

LEMtheoriginal Sat 10-Feb-18 11:51:53

Have you had many threads about this?

IBS is a serious condition in itself - maybe concentrate on managing that rather than worrying about something that has been ruled out? I say that kindly as someone who suffers health anxiety

fessmess Sat 10-Feb-18 11:58:54

My uc was diagnosed with a colonoscopy, my understanding is that's the only way.

Bloomed Sat 10-Feb-18 12:04:44

Thanks. LEM this was my first post on this. I know ibs can be a horrible condition.

keepingbees Sat 10-Feb-18 12:06:30

I would ask for a colonoscopy if you think it's something more.
I have IBS and have been told it's not IBD just by a blood test alone.

Bloomed Sat 10-Feb-18 12:22:10

Thanks I'll see if I can get that blood test before I trouble them for a colonoscopy.

keepingbees Sat 10-Feb-18 13:33:36

I'm not sure how good the blood test is, I often feel there is more to my problems than have been investigated (family history of IBD and lots of symptoms) So if you have symptoms and it's worrying you, don't feel you are troubling them to ask for a colonoscopy. Many people get palmed off with an IBS disagnosis when it's something more serious.

Floralnomad Sat 10-Feb-18 13:35:24

Have you been tested for coeliacs .

Bloomed Sat 10-Feb-18 13:57:04

Thanks keeping. I'll see what they say. I hope you find out the root cause of what is happening with you.
Floral no I haven't as far as I know. I'll check that out too.

Southwest12 Sat 10-Feb-18 15:31:53

By stool sample do you mean a faecal calprotectin test? They aren’t ideal at ruling out IBD, they need to be looked at alongside other tests.

Have they done a feacal occult blood test, and bloods for inflammatory markers? They would be the basics for a GP to do and then if those are positive/elevated alongside symptoms it would warrant a referral to a Gastro.

BusterGonad Sat 10-Feb-18 15:35:07

My understanding is that the stool test (faecal calprotectin) is the key one to rule out IBD, but if you're not happy then ask for a colonoscopy.

Bloomed Sat 10-Feb-18 16:19:22

They've done fecal calprotectin I think. I'll ask my gp what's best to do next.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: