Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

UTI sufferers

(5 Posts)
Lovetobrowse Sat 10-Feb-18 08:18:45

I’ve just finished a 7 day course of nitrofurotoin antibiotics for a UTI, it’s gone eventually but was a bit of a nightmare. I had to visit the walk in clinic last Saturday with my children, husband was travelling, l was in a lot of pain by the time I was treated. I used to suffer from these more frequently and my old doctor let me keep a course of Trimethoprim (which I think was more effective) at home to take at the first onset of symptoms. This was some time ago though and I wondered what my chances are today of getting antibiotics prescribed for future use? Is it common or will I have to jump through hoops? Would appreciate any tips so I can go to my GP forearmed!

Munchyseeds Sat 10-Feb-18 13:06:29

My GP is happy for me to have a course of nitrofuradantoin just in case....trimethoprim never works for me and we all know when we are getting a UTI (always on a weekend it seems!)

mookinsx Sat 10-Feb-18 14:58:07

it should be on your notes that you have had this previously and shouldn't be an issue

Lovetobrowse Sat 10-Feb-18 16:00:14

Thank you both for your replies. In that case I am hopeful that I will get something to keep at home too. Yes it is always a weekend!

PenguinsandPandas Sat 10-Feb-18 16:56:13

Our doesn't, normally needs a urine sample each time. Last time I got lucky and as it was 5.30pm on a Friday doctor did a prescription over the phone for 7 days.

Have also used Push doctor who prescribed some (£28) but tried Lloyds and they rejected me for too many utis. I only took 4 days of the last one as I was clear after 2 days so have a 3 day course left but it is tricky when you get them a lot. Are you seeing urology? I have been referred though testing since September with no change in outcomes yet, really slow process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now