Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby has the cold

(11 Posts)
jacobsgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 07:30:32

Hi ftm here so I may seem a bit pathetic

My little baby (6months)
Has a bit of a stuffy nose and cough. It's not as bad during the day but at night I really worry because you can here his breathing is rattling and it must be uncomfy.
I have baby sniffles and cough medicine but is there anything else I can do to help make him feel better ?
Thanks in advance

Floweroct2 Sat 10-Feb-18 07:33:11

Calpol vapour plug is good, try not to worry too much. You could try rolling up a small pillowcase and putting it under the bottom sheet to try and keep the propped up a little bit too

angelopal Sat 10-Feb-18 07:38:02

Saline spray for his nose. Also before bed sit with him in the bathroom with the shower running and the windows shut. The steam will help.

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Feb-18 07:46:56

Prop up his head to help with congestion -eg raise the head end of his cot with books under the legs.

Rainbowsandflowers78 Sat 10-Feb-18 07:47:53

Don’t give him cough medicine!!

And it’s a cold not the cold

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Sat 10-Feb-18 07:50:00

Or a pillow under the mattress to raise the head end a bit... that's what our nursery do.

jacobsgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 07:51:43

Sorry to clarify he also has a chesty cough

Thank you all for your suggestions I do have saline solution prescribed smile

The shower is a good idea ! X

Rainbowsandflowers78 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:00:40

You still shouldn’t give cough medicine - doesn’t do anything and not really suitable for a 6 month old.

Take him to a dr if you get worried or his breathing gets bad but otherwise ride it out with calpol and lots of fluid and saline spray

jacobsgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 08:12:20

I didn't know that it's just what I was told to give him

Thank everyone again for your help smile

He's smiling and that's the main thing ! smile

Orangepear Sat 10-Feb-18 08:15:36

A humidifier really helps my DC when they have coughs and colds. It makes the air in their room like a cloud, cool and moist. We have a 2.5l one and it lasts all night.

jacobsgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 08:34:19

I've been considering a humidifier for myself actually ! Great idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now